The Neurological effect of COVID-19

Since WHO declared COVID-19 as a “Public Health Emergency of International Concern” on January 30, 2020, neurologists’ lives have changed in many ways. Now—almost 4 months later—the impact of COVID-19 on neurological services and patients is profound. COVID-19 and mandatory social distancing have forced neurology practices worldwide to dramatically reshape their delivery of care. Simultaneously, non-urgent surgical procedures and medical appointments have been cancelled to increase bed capacity and care for patients with the infection, while many neurologists have had to leave their clinics to help other physicians on the frontlines. As the full clinical spectrum of COVID-19 continues to be described, preliminary findings from case reports and case series have uncovered neurological complications. An important step will be to get a better understanding of the acute and post-infectious neurological manifestations of COVID-19 to guide long-term management and health service reorganisation.

Therapeutic decision making requires awareness and recognition of neurological manifestations. However, for patients with COVID-19, much is still unknown about the neurological complications (eg, their frequency, accurate characteristics, pathophysiology, risk factors, and prognosis), and regional differences in the disease course and outcomes are likely. Besides, while there is evidence suggesting that comorbidities such as hypertension increase the severity of COVID-19, less is known on the risk for patients with neurological disorders.

View related content for this article

To accelerate research into the diagnosis, prevention, and treatment of the neurological complications of COVID-19, several initiatives are underway. Some of them are announced by their members in The Lancet Neurology . For example, a call for researchers to join an inclusive and collaborative global COVID-19 Neuro Research Coalition has been launched. Potential aims of this Coalition are to build on and link existing international neurology partnerships, and to harmonise methods for neurological research related to COVID-19.

Joint efforts are essential to gather the urgently needed clinical data to develop specific treatment guidelines. For example, a worldwide consortium—the Global Consortium Study of Neurological Dysfunction in COVID-19—that now includes more than 100 centres coordinates three studies to better understand the possible impact of COVID-19 on the brain. The European Academy of Neurology (EAN) has launched a registry to collect standardised information about demographics, comorbidities, general and neurological manifestations, disease course, and outcome of patients with COVID-19. This registry was created in collaboration with Italian, Portuguese, and Spanish neurological societies which have already launched similar registries at national level. Such registries also exist for individual neurological disorders (eg, multiple sclerosis). The Environmental Neurology Specialty Group of the World Federation of Neurology is committed to provide links to all these registries and make the collected data freely available on its website.

Neurological researchers are not the only ones racing to understand COVID-19, and numerous projects are starting to take shape. An interesting research initiative, the COVID Human Genetic Effort, set up at the Rockefeller University in New York (NY, USA), might uncover relevant findings for neurologists. The initiative aims to identify genetic mutations that make some people highly vulnerable to infection by assessing the genomes of previously healthy patients younger than 50 years who have had severe COVID-19. It is well known that inborn errors of single genes can underly herpes simplex encephalitis; hence, genetic susceptibility might be also behind the severe neurological complications caused by SARS-CoV-2.

COVID-19 will very likely have a long-term impact on the management of patients with neurological disorders. Traditionally, the neurological diagnostic and treatment approach has been face-to-face. However, to protect both patients and health-care professionals, alternative means of care are urgently needed. Bloem and colleagues’ Personal View on how to reshape care of chronic neurological patients by use of Parkinson’s disease as an example is well timed. Although the proposed integrated care model with a patient-centred perspective might not be easily generalised owing to differences between healthcare systems, it nevertheless has initiated discussions on the future of neurological services.

Never before have international efforts and collaborations been so important. While it will take time to fully understand the neurological manifestations of COVID-19, collecting and sharing of data as well as a critical appraisal of the evidence will improve care of neurological patients, now and beyond the pandemic.

Copied from The Lancet.

1 Like

Wow - you’re full of interesting information Beryl.

:slightly_smiling_face: Despite the current crisis, it’s uplifting to learn that Neurological conditions haven’t been forgotten. I’ve been told that my future appointments with a Neurologist are likely to be online, and that this will likely be the new norm.

Yes. I was surprised as well. But it’s not comforting to know that neurological conditions still go on relentless. It would be nice if ataxia would also go into lockdown/shutdown.

1 Like

I suppose this is of no big surprise. If flu can cause headaches, loss of appetite, weariness, dizziness and so on, then we might expect covid can as well.

:thinking: With the varying symptoms, and degree to which people find them challenging, I sometimes wonder whether or not I’ve actually had COVID-19. I had the Flu jab late last year, and I’ve since heard that there was an element of COVID-19 in it. Not that I’m suggesting the Flu jab gave me the virus :wink:

I went to town today (only go once a week these days) and I felt a bit dizzy by that time (2 miles) and I wondered - is this a) the sun, b) the walk, c) ataxia, d) Covid? It also occurred to me that if you (Beryl) are in Newcastle and others are scattered all over the world, then we’re doing very well for social distancing. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

:slightly_smiling_face: It’s as good as having friends nearby when you can communicate online, and as you say, a good example of social distancing :wink: A few weeks ago I had a similar walk myself, although I have to say the length of it was unintentional :grimacing: In my case it wasn’t a particularly hot day, but never the less I did find myself well and truly exhausted by the time I made it home. Can you find an alternative way to get to town other than walking :thinking:
We’re experiencing abnormal temperatures here just now, at the moment it’s 24c and I’m finding it’s drains me of energy, walks are out and I sit in the shade as much as possible :wink:

I walk to town for exercise as it’s mostly downhill and the catch a bus home when my bags are full.

1 Like

A good friend of mine and his wife have just tested positive for the virus. I haven’t been with them for a couple of weeks now so I’m not worried. In fact, I had been tested a little over a week now and I was negative. Anyway, because of our illness do we have any priority when it comes to getting this vaccine? :pleading_face::star_struck::pleading_face:

I’ve not heard so - but then again I’m not USA

I don’t think that USA will have its own protocol.

In the UK, according to government info…vaccinations are to be given in specific order…

1. Elderly persons in Care Homes
  2. Care Home Staff and front line medical staff
  3. Elderly people in general, plus those with certain underlying conditions. Neurological conditions are mentioned (no specific diagnosis) and Epilepsy.

I’m 70, I have CA, and assume I’d be allocated category 3…sometime early next year.

1 Like

Beryl, are you going to take one of the new vaccines? If so, do you know which will be offered in your area?

I do not take new medical therapies as a general rule. My neurologist already told me he’d wrote me a waiver if I needed it.

It would be enlightening for the less brave of us to hear how it goes for those getting a vaccine.

:slightly_smiling_face: I just copied this…

A coronavirus (COVID-19) vaccine developed by Pfizer/BioNTech has been approved for use in the UK. The vaccine will be made available from next week. The vaccine has met strict standards of safety, quality and effectiveness set out by the independent Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA).
www.nhs.uk › coronavirus-covid-19

And this from healthunlockedataxiauk

We are having a meeting of our ataxia expert neurologists on Tuesday and hope to have some information regarding what is known regarding the vaccine, for people with ataxia on our website shortly - which we will also post here. Sue

Personally I’m a bit anxious about having the vaccine…obviously it’s recommended but…

1 Like