Thinking outside the box to stay safe and make tasks easier

:slightly_smiling_face: Many of us must have come up with alternative, and sometimes ingenious ways of coping with a disability…

Sometimes it’s the use of a specific gadget…or simply tackling a task in a different way.

Some of us have tremors, some poor vision, some use a wheelchair…

:slightly_smiling_face: It can be very useful to pass these tips on…we all need to be confident and stay safe.

I have vision issues, problems with dizziness/balance and poor concentration when doing household tasks…vacuuming can cause me to lose balance completely. Consequently I tackle things slowly, and take extra care to double check when using appliances like the hob and oven.

Let us know what you do, any changes you have made :slightly_smiling_face:

I’ve been told by doctors to keep looking down when walking rather than looking forward when walking. Actually, it’s a combination of both.

I wasn’t told this but do it anyway; I think it was instinctive.

The downside is that after several years of doing this I have acquired a popping feel in my neck vertebrae and my head tends to remain in a forward position rather than a natural postural position.

I try to counter this by lying back down on a flat surface everyday. It hurt like hell at first but seems to be helping. I suppose my neck, chest and back muscles needed a good stretching.

OUCH! I don’t think they meant to keep our heads looking down constantly but to look down when the ground is kinda uneven. I can see that happening sort of naturally for us.

I miss not being able to look around when I’m walking…I can’t look ahead…I need to look down because of eye problems…my vision bounces.
:slightly_smiling_face: But…thankfully I don’t have this when I’m sitting immobile in the car…I can look around without problems.

1 Like

A small thing but since I can no longer handle a big fluffy bath towel I found thinner 20” long towels that are so much easier to use. They are available in a good quality terry that looks nice hanging up.

I use a laundry basket on the seat of my rollator, held in place by the back rest to “carry” things from room to room too bulky and usually too numerous to manage alone. Saves many steps and near falls. Also bringing in things from the car and of course, doing the laundry! I’m trying to find an attractive basket woven or of cloth to replace white plastic… Decor is everything!

1 Like

:slightly_smiling_face::+1:So many uses for a rollator :wink: And yes, decor is important :slightly_smiling_face:

:slightly_smiling_face: It’s always a good idea to review any aids we use, to see if they’re safe and still fit for purpose.

I happened to notice the tip of my stylus was becoming ‘bald’…:roll_eyes: No wonder it squeaked across the iPad and I kept having to correct spelling mistakes…

A small thing…but an aid I find invaluable :slightly_smiling_face:

Mea Culpa!

Further research would indicate that my head forward position is a cause of my ataxia and not a result of.

When lying prone on the bed, on my back with my arms flat above my head, I can feel my rib cage expanding and my shoulder and neck becoming flatter. It was painful at first and I could only maintain the position at first for a minute or so but now I can do it without undue pain.

I hope it will eventually help improve my posture and balance. I try to be cognizant of posture and taking a normal heel to toe stride instead of my normal ataxic gait when I am walking but it does rquire constant attention.

1 Like

Hi I have a 2 tray trolley quite smart looking, adjustable height with wheels and brakes.I use it inside for walking ,carrying essential stuff and carrying things between rooms.

:slightly_smiling_face: That’s useful to know Issy, It’s handy to be able to adapt something we already have in use.