Turmeric Anyone?

I’ve been noticing this trend of understanding the benefits of using Tumeric. Anyone have experience with this?

If you are also interested click below…

Turmeric Uses & Health Benefits

:slightly_smiling_face: Louise, a few years ago I took part in a study as to the benefits of Turmeric. (this study was not related to Ataxia)
Some people were given it in capsule form, some were given Turmeric to use in cooking and some a placebo. Blood and urine tests were carried out at the start, and the end.

The study found that it was best absorbed into the body, and the most benefits were derived, by cooking with it.

I fell into the group who were given Turmeric to use in cooking. Unfortunately I’m not a fan, and found it a real struggle. I was required to use a teaspoon of Turmeric daily in cooking, for a month.

I was told it didn’t have any direct effect on ataxia as a condition. At the time, I wasn’t experiencing pain, so I can’t vouch for it in that respect. Some people, no matter which form they’d been given said it made them feel better.

I don’t cook much these days, too many burnt offerings :wink: But, I would consider trying the capsule form for pain relief :slightly_smiling_face: xB

Yes. I take one 450mg capsule per day (first thing in the morning). The one I use is made by Nature’s Bounty - Turmeric/ Curcumin. I don’t particularly care for it in my food. I’m not sure if it benefits ataxia (I would assume for muscle and joint pain as recommended, and to reduce inflammation).
I use it to help combat upset stomach and digestive problems, there may be incidental benefits I don’t know about or notice. It seems to help settle my digestive system. It certainly isn’t a miracle remedy (spice), but I figure it can’t harm me.
If you try it, and you notice some benefit from it even if it’s all in your head, so be it! It is a harmless spice that won’t hurt you.
Of course I would never recommend taking anything without consulting you physician first just in case it doesn’t interact well with other medications that you may be taking.
I must confess, that of all the natural remedies I have tried (and I’ve used a few), Turmeric seems to provide the most notable benefit for me.
Good luck!

When a friend of ours who is a doctor and always pooh-poohed using natural pain relievers in the past, now swears by it. 1200 mg is a great dose for relieving inflammation and pain…my husband is now using it and finds it better than taking the pain meds…he has stage IV cancer. The key though, is it must be in a combination of turmeric and pepper. The pepper helps it work best. And you can find it in capsules. jd

1 Like

I always considered using a higher dose, wondering if it would increase the effectiveness. I don’t use any other joint stiffness/pain releaver, so Turmeric may do the trick.
I plan to try it.

Hi, I realize the dose I quoted from memory was off just a bit…1,000 mg…plus 5 mg of pepper…some also include ginger, another great anti-inflammatory supplement. I don’t know if you’re in the states…the one my husband is using is from Costco. Other stores are really expensive. j

Someone gave me a ‘recipe’ a while ago, and I’ve mislaid it :roll_eyes: It involved making a ‘shot’ using pretty much the same ingredients you described, plus lemon juice and a dash of olive oil :slightly_smiling_face: xB

Here’s interesting info and a recipe: https://www.healthyway.com/content/golden-milk-what-it-is-and-how-to-make-it-at-home/?param4=hwy-google-ppc-us-de&utm_source=adwords&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=golden%20milk%20tea&utm_campaign=990564630&adgroupid=47874591286&network=g&creative=248127700282&device=c&devicemodel=&matchtype=b&adposition=1t2&gclid=CjwKCAjwsJ3ZBRBJEiwAtuvtlH3YeSHs81jJgfdGRo8K4exYfePD8f7Jc_QRAD2i422xdZYVfhulHhoCl5wQAvD_BwE jd

Thank you :blush: I had heard of Golden Milk, but I had no idea it was so versatile :+1: :slightly_smiling_face: xB

Beryl, Here’s an interesting site for any of us with Ataxia who also likes photography: http://www.jzukerkorn.com/movement/ Though his images are due to PD, there’s artistry that can encourage those like myself who have nearly given up taking pictures due to not holding things steady. jd

1 Like

Even though the images are ‘shaky’, it adds another dimension and they are pleasing to the eye :slightly_smiling_face: I looked at other links on the site, textures and colour appealed to me when I was able to take part in an art course :slightly_smiling_face: It’s been a while since I took photographs, at one time I was constantly in the garden, taking closeups and hoping to recreate colours and textures on fabric and paper :slightly_smiling_face: xB