Vibration plate

Hi.. I am planning to buy a vibration plate. [UK]

.I tried one in the gym whilst I was on holiday over the Christmas and was impressed with it.

Neurologist said it is great idea and would like to know how I get on with it.

Neuro Physio said couldnt recommend as she had no experience but... it would not do me any harm.

I am trying to decide which size would be best for our small home. The big one surrounded by bars which I like best or the smaller more practical one which would be much easier to move if necessary.

There is only a few pounds difference in the price.

Any thoughts? Thanks, Patsy

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121154897334?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261550220476?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Oh, Patsy, I can’t think why your Neurologist suggested this was a great idea.
We have one here, it actually belongs to my daughter and she hasn’t space for
it at her new home.
I’ve tried it once. Maybe it just depends on how Ataxia effects you, we all know
how variable it can be.
I thought it was going to shake my teeth out!

You’ve provoked a discussion between me and Brian (my husband), he’s going to
look at it and see if you can lessen the vibration, as usual in our house we can never
lay our hands on an instruction manual :slight_smile:

The one we have is Confidence Fitness, it’s about 2ft square at the base and has
rails at either side. It stands on a solid tiled floor, and can be moved by tilting it onto
two wheels.

Brian has it running now, it’s no-where near as vigorous as I remember, I’ll try it and
let you know:-) xB

Cont’
We’ve found the instruction book, Patsy.

On the do’s and don’t see page a couple of things have put me off trying it.

The main one is the fact I have a Hickman Line in for chemo, I definitely don’t
want it jiggling around.

But, don’t let me put you off :slight_smile: since you’ve already tried it and liked it :slight_smile: xB

thanks Beryl. x

Won the bidding yesterday on this one on Ebay with local pick up. Will be getting it on Thursday and will let you know how I get on with it. <£41 [us$66]

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261731154320?_trksid=p2059210.m2748.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

x

Hi Patsy

I have had one for about 2 years. I love mine and I think my balance has improved from using it. I do agree on the higher settings it does shake my teeth. I use mine 3 times a week it helps my circulation as it does give me itchy legs. Just remember to keep your legs slightly bend as this will give you the best workout.

Very pleased to hear that Sarah, thanks for sharing. x

Yes, I have been on it twice at the gym, and both times after using it I got a severe headache.

But if it works for you then go for it.

I have had one for several years. The only advise I can add is to make sure you have it on solid ground! When we first got it, we lived in a home with a crawl space. The vibration shook the house and floor so much it was actually tearing up my furniture! We have since moved and our house know sits on a concrete foundation. Problem solved:)

hey Patsy! I was a person trainer at The Bellagio in Las Vegas. I am highly trained and have been a trainer for more than 25 years. Unfortunately, I have spinal injuries also which occlude me using the vibration therapy. I f you have any back problems that would be exacerbated or cause loss of space between your vertebrae you should not use. Otherwise it is a tremendous approach which I would be using if I could.

The vibrations can cause your muscles to contract and relax up to 50 times a second. That is all the way to bone! It is great for your circulatory system, stimulates nerves and other many biological responses. In my opinion, would be ideal for Ataxia patients. Hold on to the bars, but if there is no fear of fall you could slowly incorporate hands free and even standing on one foot to increase your balance. We have all heard stories of other parts of the brain learning to "take over" operations that other parts were once responsible for. I would also ingest some form of minerals and trace minerals to support the stimulation of your nervous system.

Basically, any exercise that a person can do can be done on the vibration plate. Either go through moves very slowly, allowing the vibration to do the work, ending with maybe two reps tops in 60 seconds. You can also do any stretching, yoga style moves or just static (no motion) contractions while standing on the plate. Example, sitting back as in sitting in a chair, bending the knees so that your upper leg is any degree up to parallel to the floor and hold that position for 30 or 60 seconds, whichever you choose. Be sure to keep your knees from bending to where your knees would protrude over your toes. Hold the bars so you do not fall, sit back, keep feet flat and knee joint directly behind your lower leg(not over toes). Think, you are trying to sit in a chair that is too far away from you, stick your bottom out!

Great advice.. thank you all .. much appreciated. I have been to Las Vegas and recall the Bellagio [with all the fountains with music]. We were attending our son's wedding in the Flamingo Hotel chapel. Loved it and long to go back.. maybe one day.

I use wii fit every other day and am thinking that I can copy some of the yoga exercises on the 'plate'. Especially the chair.

Really looking forward to trying it.. hopefully Thursday

x

Good for you Patsy. Keep up the forward progression. I am 2 weeks into a diet that should help with Ataxia. It is not easy, you are not hungry but it does require much preparation. Check it out, it is called the "Paleo" diet. Thank god my wife likes to cook! I don't think I could do it by myself., too much standing and chopping and trimming. I do like to cook but it is hard for me to stand that long. Very tasty recipe's but requires much diligence in choosing your meats and veggies.

Do well on your endeavor! Maybe if you combine that exercise with this diet you would be a force to be reckoned with!

Check it out anyway and see what you think.-Randall

Dear Patsy, I've never heard of a vibration plate! Explain what it is and does, please. If it works for you, wonderful!!! ;o)

have sent you a link Rose. Cant explain what it does as it is too many things. Mostly circulation and bone mass I think but can also train the brain to help with balance. xx

Thanks Randall, sounds too much for me... I couldnt even manage gluten free! We try to fast one day a week but that went haywire over Christmas.. always bits to use up or prepare for freezer! I am not considered overweight by would like to lose at least half a stone. Good luck with yours.. lucky boy having wife who likes cooking x

Heltup said:

Good for you Patsy. Keep up the forward progression. I am 2 weeks into a diet that should help with Ataxia. It is not easy, you are not hungry but it does require much preparation. Check it out, it is called the "Paleo" diet. Thank god my wife likes to cook! I don't think I could do it by myself., too much standing and chopping and trimming. I do like to cook but it is hard for me to stand that long. Very tasty recipe's but requires much diligence in choosing your meats and veggies.

Do well on your endeavor! Maybe if you combine that exercise with this diet you would be a force to be reckoned with!

Check it out anyway and see what you think.-Randall

Patsy, sorry you took it that way, I did not mean to imply that you needed to lose weight. This diet is a "diet" only in terms that you follow a prescribed eating formula. It is for health, not for losing weight. If you tried gluten free then you must know something about the health benefits of a different style of eating. Yes, it is a darned shame. I do miss so many foods but the foods we consume today are NOT what people consumed when the hopelessly outdated food pyramid was first employed. They have changed due to unhealthy farming techniques, robbing the soil of nutrients, genetically modified foods that have been genetically engineered to diminish the effects of pests, etc. The grain we eat today is not the same grain our forefathers ate. I would urge you to educate yourself on this subject even if you feel you cannot or do not want to subscribe to a specific diet plan. It might very well be a detriment to your health. What you are consuming now might be, and I believe it is, affecting the severity of your Ataxia.

I was never the kind of physical trainer that assumed everyone wanted to be any specific body type. Realistically, our genetics kind of stack the deck against us in that department. I only urged people to balance their lifestyle with as many healthy choices as they were willing to accommodate. The idea that everyone should have a flat stomach, ridiculously large breasts and be what the majority of people are brainwashed into thinking is beautiful is hogwash. I fought against such narrow thinking as a trainer and I still fight it. Living in America, I am afraid I am in the minority but I still believe I am right and always will. People, in all their wonderful diversity is what is beautiful! You are right in assuming that I am lucky; I think so too.Good luck with whatever you decide to do. Many people on this forum suffer from horrible pain. I would just prefer to see that happen to as few people as possible. Do NOT go quietly into that night , my sweet lady.-Randall

No worries Randall, I do supplement my diet with vits and minerals and quite good health for 72 years.

Controlling weight was never a problem till middle age, when I seem to put on 1 stone every 10 years [quite slow gain!] resulting in an extra 3 stone at 60 years!! I never feel hungry but having been brought up since food was rationed [born 1942], I find the choice of foods very tempting especially those with unhealthy fats and sugar !!! I guess that makes me a 'sweet lady' LOL

Bless you x

Hi. I am 80 and was very active. I recently bought a "confidense" brand vib. plate on advice from my nephew. I think it is fun, but I can't feel like it substitues for a longer workout. I use it 2-3 times a day just to try and refocus my learning to handle our "drunk" walk. It may be helping. I like to think so. You got a great price, so stay with it. We just don't kow how or how long it takes for improvement to be really noticed.------Silky

Thanks Silky.. that's very encouraging. We collected v.plate from seller today but no energy at the moment.

I expect if my husband, Ken, wasnt here to fetch and carry, I would make more effort!

this is the one I finally won on eBay and collected today.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EXERCISE-MACHINE-vibrating-plate-/201268384937?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=Jkyu%252FB6D%252B2YDu6CnFE4tM9Gv%252Bt0%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Patsy