Winter Blues on the horizon

Now that we're heading towards Autumn, I know that at some point in the next couple

of months my normally tranquil disposition will alter significantly. This happens every

year, in the UK the clocks go back and I think Seasonal Affective Disorder sets in.

I hate the severely reduced daylight hours. What with that, and limitations on outings

due to bad weather conditions (underfoot can be precarious), activity can be restricted

to indoors for months!

So, this year I'm making an effort to arm myself against the onset of lethargy and boredom,

energy permitting of course! xB

Hi Beryl - An alarm clock with simulated sunlight and/or a “happy” light (like sunlight) might help. Amazon has some; I’m sure that other places have them, too.

Hi!

Yes, I've got one of those alarm clocks, it does do the job during dark winter mornings.

I know someone with one of those lightboxes, and I may very well get one this year!

Thank you! xB

Glitter on Butterflies said:

Hi Beryl - An alarm clock with simulated sunlight and/or a "happy" light (like sunlight) might help. Amazon has some; I'm sure that other places have them, too.

Good for you looking ahead to see/find out what you can do to change it since you know what effects your ataxia!

I tend to look forward to changes now. I used to hate change before but I realized it was going to happen anyway when I wasn't ready for it that's what got me to not like it. So I change things on my time now and I've gotten used to changes so when life throws me a new one I am used to changes and tend to go with the flow more now.

My body tend to react better when it's cool but not too cool or too hot. There is a very small window of temp now. Bummer! :0)

Hi Jeannie!

Re temp - same here! We've had a lot of unusually humid weather here in the UK, it really drains energy.

I don't deal well with change, I'm Libra, I like balance. But, going slowly with the flow gets me by! xB

Jeannie Ball said:

Good for you looking ahead to see/find out what you can do to change it since you know what effects your ataxia!

I tend to look forward to changes now. I used to hate change before but I realized it was going to happen anyway when I wasn't ready for it that's what got me to not like it. So I change things on my time now and I've gotten used to changes so when life throws me a new one I am used to changes and tend to go with the flow more now.

My body tend to react better when it's cool but not too cool or too hot. There is a very small window of temp now. Bummer! :0)

I play Majhong on my computer! It helps with the boredom.

My husband and I bought a guitar, and I am determined to learn to play. I'm hoping it gives me a focus this winter too. :)

Chin up Beryl.. we have had some beautiful Octobers over the past years. I can remember being on the beach in Cornwall in 1967 having returned from a two year posting in Germany. The sun was beautiful on 1st October that year and I recall it every year.

I quite like being safe and cosy indoors without the pressure of being asked 'what have you done today?' just because the weather is nice. You cant make the most of every day.. unless you have the energy .. and the money.

How are you going to arm yourself? Write a book perhaps...

Patsy x

I am never bored but I get SAD too esp in January.I used to get some daylight by walking but lastwinter I wrapped up warm and went on my scooter.It became quite a routine.It took ages but it was good for me and a way of getting natural light.

Hi girls, our winter here in Au is nearly over. It has been very cold. Bring on spring.

Aged 67 and retired fo 13 years, I look back at my working years--during that time, SAD was a big PIA and my nemesis. However, after adapting to the seasonal downer after becoming mostly home bound, I now am free to do things I never had a chance to do while healthy--Novel-reading became a passion. I no longer am affected with SAD...Now I'm GLAD.

I started taking Vitamin D in the winter when there was the swine flu thing going around and was very surprised to find out that it kept the winter blues away completely. I felt great for the first winter in years.

It also prevented me from getting swine flu, even though two of my three kids got it so that was a bonus.

Actually Patsy I've often thought about writing a book, concentration and memory

might be a hinderance though these days'!

It is relaxing to sort of hibernate during the winter months, without feeling that you

should be out there doing something, anything!

I used to spend hours fiddling with fabric and 'arty' projects, it was a very soothing

pastime. Now that (fingers crossed) my eyes are on an even keel, I hope to get

back to it, if I can just keep my hands steady!

My biggest problem is procrastinating! xB

Patsy said:

Chin up Beryl.. we have had some beautiful Octobers over the past years. I can remember being on the beach in Cornwall in 1967 having returned from a two year posting in Germany. The sun was beautiful on 1st October that year and I recall it every year.

I quite like being safe and cosy indoors without the pressure of being asked 'what have you done today?' just because the weather is nice. You cant make the most of every day.. unless you have the energy .. and the money.

Patsy x

Beryl Park said:

Actually Patsy I've often thought about writing a book, concentration and memory

might be a hinderance though these days'!

It is relaxing to sort of hibernate during the winter months, without feeling that you

should be out there doing something, anything!

I used to spend hours fiddling with fabric and 'arty' projects, it was a very soothing

pastime. Now that (fingers crossed) my eyes are on an even keel, I hope to get

back to it, if I can just keep my hands steady!

My biggest problem is procrastinating! xB

Patsy said:

Patsy x

Hey, who stole my answer to Beryl? :wink:

Hi Beryl, Although I LOVE the change in seasons, the snow and ice can be problematic for walking! I have a sharp "spike" on the bottom of my cane that I can drop down for those conditions (it also makes a good weapon if need be...,ha!). I also have shoe/boot treks that go on easily, making it much easier (and safer) to walk. The grayness/darkness of the weather doesn't bother my mood though. I adore candlelight, and can make use of that! I feel better in the cool weather too. Way to think positively about that though! ;o)

Re send it! xB

Cicina said:

Hey, who stole my answer to Beryl? ;-)

Ah! My dear Beryl! You are asking me to remember what I forgot! A Herculean task ! But for you, I shall try :wink: and do my best.
I think that it is time for you to move to some sunny Island, for the winter at least. Having lived part of my childhood in the North of France right on the English channel, where we experience the same weather as England, I understand your need for sunshine.

Like you, I used to be very “arty” with my hands, but the shake and uselessness of my left side are making everything I try a very frustrating challenge. And I am not into challenges anymore.
So I really do not have any miracle cure for the winter blues… Music really helps me pass time. I take walks around the neighborhood when weather permits, I read ( not much as I have a vision field cut) do a few things around the house ( Rather limited) and try not to think of all the stuff I could accomplish if…

It is not easy Beryl, hang in there, spring always follow winter.
Take care xoxo - Cicina

Cicina you are so right, do not dwell on what used to be, it holds you back!

We've had so much lovely sunshine lately, I actually feel as though I've been on holiday already!

I'm ok really, it's just anticipating short dark days that set this in motion, you know my mind just

wandered on somewhere it shouldn't have gone! Now, if instead I'd found myself something to

do, I could have killed two birds with one stone. Got distracted and felt better, and finally done

some job I'd been procrastinating about! xB