Working with ataxia

can ppl with ataxia do physical work ever?

thanks

hi again

Other Ataxians on this site are better qualified than me. I'm sure they will post soon

x

S-J

ok

Sarah-Jane Squire said:

hi again

Other Ataxians on this site are better qualified than me. I'm sure they will post soon

x

S-J

I think there would be work an ataxia patient could do but each person would have different qualifications, I think I could do physical work if I was in a sitting position . It woulde be nice if larger corporations would save jobs that could be done by the disabled and unskilled.I know there are a lot of jobs that go to people that are able that could be saved and given to persons who have limitations.

yes it would be. when we cant do phsical work
gelu65 said:

I think there would be work an ataxia patient could do but each person would have different qualifications, I think I could do physical work if I was in a sitting position . It woulde be nice if larger corporations would save jobs that could be done by the disabled and unskilled.I know there are a lot of jobs that go to people that are able that could be saved and given to persons who have limitations.

yes it would be nice

Do what you can do. You might want to check with the job service for your state. I found out when I was looking for a job they have a division that helps people with disabilities find jobs.

I was really surprised they had this but it's been great.

She has helped me find a job but she helps in case you need help doing the job. She also follows up for about 6 months after you find work to make sure it's a good fit and if you are struggling with anything.

It's nice to have someone in your corner. If she is making the initial contact and they agree they know a head of time what your disability is. The employer then decides if they want to interview you.

thanks kay.

Kay said:

Do what you can do. You might want to check with the job service for your state. I found out when I was looking for a job they have a division that helps people with disabilities find jobs.

I was really surprised they had this but it's been great.

She has helped me find a job but she helps in case you need help doing the job. She also follows up for about 6 months after you find work to make sure it's a good fit and if you are struggling with anything.

It's nice to have someone in your corner. If she is making the initial contact and they agree they know a head of time what your disability is. The employer then decides if they want to interview you.

Hi refinisher :slight_smile:

If there’s one thing we never get after being diagnosed with Cerebellar Ataxia, it’s information.
Mostly we’re left in the dark about how to get on with our lives, how to support ourselves and look after our families.

Re THE NATIONAL ATAXIA FOUNDATION

I know I’ve enthused about this site lots of times, I wonder how many people have actually viewed it.

In one respect, I personally think it’s lacking. That is references to more recently discovered SCAs. But apart from that there’s a lot of essential reading.

The ‘links’ provide a comprehensive list of valuable Ataxia related resources provided by other organisations.
Accessible living & workplace
Assisted Technology
Disability Issues
Employment
Insurance
Service Dogs
This is just an example of information available, there’s lots more.

The site itself makes for interesting reading. I would encourage anyone seeking any kind of information about Ataxia to use it as a starting point. If nothing else it will give a good grounding in understanding the basic symptoms we cope with, just browse it :slight_smile: Plus, there’s a page for emails, ask about a specific query and they’ll respond.

:slight_smile: xB