Baclofen effectiveness

My neuro prescribed Baclofen to help with muscle stiffness. More limber makes it better to control falls. But he is pretty quick to prescribe, I’ve found, so my question is, how long before any of you have it found effective, and at what levels? I’ve been on 40 mg/day for the past week, up from 20 mg/day the first week. Still no noticeable results, but at least no unmanageable side effects.

I didn't find it effective and a second (older) Neuro stopped the dosage immediately..(20mgs per day)..He said it is no use for Ataxia as I have no spasticity just aches and pains which makes me feel stiff..I really get by with OTC cheap pain meds...

I know that MS people use Baclofen.So.I hope you get some more information regarding the cause of your condition :-D

I've been on 10 mg twice a day for years. It does loosen me up. I can tell, because if I miss my dosage for a day, I'm right back to the Frankenstein walk when I use my walker. So I guess it varies from patient to patient?

I found it made me tired during the day but very effective in controlling rigidity and muscle spasms so I just take 20mg in the afternoon.

Does it give you problems with other muscles, like bladder for example? I have spasticity that can be painful, but I also have intermittent incontinence (leaking) and I don't want to make that worse

david l pandorf said:

I've been on 10 mg twice a day for years. It does loosen me up. I can tell, because if I miss my dosage for a day, I'm right back to the Frankenstein walk when I use my walker. So I guess it varies from patient to patient?

I was on Baclofen for a bit, but couldn't tolerate the side-effect (at least for me) of tiredness (it made me even more tired then I usually am, as well as out-of-it! I didn't like that feeling at all! Everyone is different, so if it works for you, wonderful! ;o)

I've been on it for a couple months. My neuro put me on only 10mg (but she said to take half until I get used to it) I started taking a whole one at night and I felt hung over so I went back to half. They've got me on so much crap I don't know which pill does what! I'm about ready to gradually stop all that nuero stuff and just keep taking my blood pressure meds and vitamins!

Took 20 mg a day for over a year , started out at 5 and was up to 40 at one point , it made no difference at all , but it did make me dopey . I guess its different case to case . I also was on Zanaflex , that helped a lot with spasticity , but side effects were super drowsy, very weak muscles , ( I could not stand at all , i would just collapse ) and it made my speech worse . But if I was sitting I could put my legs up to my head .

Ibuprofen is the only thing I take now , it helps moderately with spasticity and a lot with the associated back and leg pain .

Now I just accept that pain is a part of life.

Searcher.....You made me laugh imagining being so loose you could put your legs over your head!!

I was taking 10mg twice a day and didn't notice any difference so, with my neuro's OK I stopped taking it just under a year ago. I was taking it for a couple of years.

I’m on 20 mg a day for the past few months. It does seem to take a while to build up to be effective, if I remember. I find it very helpful. Especially when used with Pramipexole, which is for tremors. When I’ve run out of one or the other I’ve found it isn’t as helpful for me.
The combination helps with rigidity and also the amount of tremors. I also fall much less since I started taking it.

Runner, I cannot figure out how to reply to just your comment, so I’ll reply this way. Baclofen isn’t causing me any new problems I didn’t already have, except for more listlessness.

Many people have a lot of success with drugs but personally Baclofen did not agree with me, so I tried to find an alternative.
I tried organic turmeric and was really surprised by the results. Most days I can get away with one in the morning and one at night. If it is bad day, one at midday normally does the trick,

I get them from here

www.bodykind.com/search/Vir...

Obviously it is a personal choice and I know a great many people who swear by other drugs but I thought I would give an alternative. If you are taking any other tablets or drugs, you must always be very careful because some can react badly. A good site I discovered to check things is

www.mskcc.org/cancer-care/i...

Hope turmeric works for you too if you want an alternative : )

HaHa , I wish I could have done that Ever ! No what I meant is if I am sitting I can put my knees up to my ears , that is until the chair falls over LOL .

ME JANE said:

Searcher.....You made me laugh imagining being so loose you could put your legs over your head!!

What does the turmeric help with?

Lit Smith said:

Many people have a lot of success with drugs but personally Baclofen did not agree with me, so I tried to find an alternative.
I tried organic turmeric and was really surprised by the results. Most days I can get away with one in the morning and one at night. If it is bad day, one at midday normally does the trick,

I get them from here

www.bodykind.com/search/Vir...

Obviously it is a personal choice and I know a great many people who swear by other drugs but I thought I would give an alternative. If you are taking any other tablets or drugs, you must always be very careful because some can react badly. A good site I discovered to check things is

www.mskcc.org/cancer-care/i...

Hope turmeric works for you too if you want an alternative : )

I'm not taking any drugs. I am going to occupational and physical therapy (PT that focuses on neuro conditions not orthopedic). I'm finding it is wonderful. I'm learning how my body works and how this disease affects it and working on those areas.

The drugs can only treat symptoms NOT ataxia. You have to find what works for you.