Being registered disabled

How does someone know if they are registered as disabled or not.I receive disability living allowance and also income support.I also have a disabled persons railcard and a concessionary bus pass,and my wife is my carer.Does this mean I am automatically classed or registered as disabled.But I don't specifically have a card that says I am registered as disabled.........folky

Hi

If you have a blue badge then you are automatically registered disabled and I think if you get DLA then you are on the system. Hope this helps

hi, yep you are registered as disabled, My car tax disc even states "disabled"

Me too.Good question.Have got a badge and get DLA but did not know if I was registered.

How do you get your tax disc to state disabled as my tax is due for rennewal?

I feel as you do, I work but have a blue badge and on DLA, driving licence renewal now 3 years depending on health but no certificate saying disabled. I think disabled is an imaginary line and there is no point at which you are or aren't. Confused ?

I am.

I have had Ataxia for two years and work full time but I only found out yesterday that I can claim DLA. Information isn't very forthcoming is it?

do you have a dla certficate? if so you need to present this to the post office along with your car documents

once received , you are then given the tax disc per annum without any more paperwork, if you dont change your car.

if you do change your car , re-apply using the dla certificate and the standard car documents.
Beverley said:

How do you get your tax disc to state disabled as my tax is due for rennewal?

Thats great info thatnks I have only applied for DAL today as I didn't know I could claim it as i work so hopefully next time I can get if for free. Is there anything esle that I can claim?

Whats DLA?

If you are in the U.K it is for Disability living Allowance you can go to the direct.gov website and download a form. You need to tell them about the worst case scenario a it helps your case.

Oh Thank you Beverley. I live in the States. And I do get SSD. Thank for telling me!

Keep fighting Beverley as I was turned down at first.That was about four years ago.I got it when the CAB helped me with the form.I learnt that we neede someone who understood the system and it was only through the help of others on this site that i didn't give up.

No problem lori

Luckily I work for a national charity that supports people with autism so I am clued up on filling in the forms I just wasn't aware that you could claim it if you worked. I also have 2 children with autism so have filed them in from a personal point of view. I think the worst thing for me is coming to terms with the ataxia itself, still you guys on here are great and ever so helpful so thanks Bev

Hello all,

@Folky: Some time after being told I have ataxia in 2009 I had a call from a social worker and she registered me disabled through the local (council) authorities. So! If in doubt, check them out! Having DLA and IS will not necessarily mean you are automatically registered disabled to the best of my knowledge but getting a concessionary rail card or bus pass (I have a disability bus pass) normally requires some proof of reason for the pass - in your case disability.

Could it be that you or your wife maybe received a registerd disabled card and filed it with other documents? This is, as I'm sure we can all agree, very easily done!

For referrence; my (registered disabled) card is printed on one side 'CERTIFICATE OF REGISTRATION' and has my details on the other side with the county council I am registered with logo.

As with others, I had a blue badge but it expired over the christmas holiday and I need to apply for a new one.

Hope this helps!

Take care all,

M.

I have been waiting for nearly a year to receive my driving licence renewal. I sent my old one in to tell them I had Ataxia and it just is taking forever. I do receive letters from the DVLA from time to time telling me it is being considered by their medical officer. Meanwhile I just continue driving as they have not said I can’t. I am not claiming DLA. Is it all explained on website how to claim? Is it means tested?

A quick search for our UK friends of 'DWP DLA' in just about any web search engine (google etc) will bring up a link to the correct DWP DLA page. The page(s) are generally informative and have links for further information.

To apply for DLA you will need to find the online form to do so (sorry no link) or ring the DWP and ask for a form to be sent to you. If I remember correctly, the online form (when I applied) was actually a form (.pdf) that you can either fill in online or download to fill in - in either case it required printing at home and sending off to the DWP.

This only applies to UK and I'm unsure of other regional 'benefits' or 'requirement'.

On a side note; Recieving DLA, as I said earlier, may not mean that a person is automatically registered disabled and anyone wishing to be registered disabled may need to go via thier local authorities (council) to sort that out.

I hope this helps.

Wobblymum said:

I have been waiting for nearly a year to receive my driving licence renewal. I sent my old one in to tell them I had Ataxia and it just is taking forever. I do receive letters from the DVLA from time to time telling me it is being considered by their medical officer. Meanwhile I just continue driving as they have not said I can't. I am not claiming DLA. Is it all explained on website how to claim? Is it means tested?

Very interesting discussion point - what does being Registered Disabled in the UK actually signify and when would you be asked about it?

I would presume it would only be relevant to those below retirement age, when applying for concessions such as travel or admission tickets.

Take care, Patsy

at no time are you specifically told you are disabled, I guess it is a modern way of doing things, ie fear of a backlash for telling someone they're classed as disabled, the claims would flood in.