Being registered disabled

This is Essex [UK] Coalition of Disabled People's concept of a disabled person

• Inclusive: We include anyone who has rights under the disability law. This includes anyone with a physical or sensory impairment, mental health condition, learning disability or long-term health condition (such as HIV / AIDS or cancer). We also recognise anyone who declares themselves to be a disabled person.

Thanks for asking Lori! I live in the United States, also and was clueless as to what DLA was! Sounds as though the UK has more to offer than the States, if one is disabled! ;o)

It's all political correctness though isn't it? Why do you have a 'concept of a disabled person' it's a commonsense term. The point I'm making is that at no fixed point does one become disabled, nobody will say it to me. Other than one of my 'clients' who told me to 'retire you're disabled, go on the sick' he was so close to getting a thick ear !

This is a very common idea that we have to be 'registered' when in fact there is no such database - thank goodness. Your blue badge and DLA Disability Liiving Allowance statement will normally be enough to satisfy any criteria. Everything follows from those two bits of paper. the tax exemptions require DLA proof. It should also help with council tax benefit depending on your income. DLA gives you more points towards your claim. If you have a carer you can use the DLA statement to get carers allowance for them. (only if they are under retirement age)

Hey all,

Donnybluewayne has some very good arguements (points of view) with 'concept of a...' and 'at no fixed point...' and political correctness plays a big part in all our lives!

I too would have had negative thoughts if someone had told me to 'retire...' in a nasty way - but I take all sorts of negative comments about my physical condition in as positive a light as I reasonably can and try to learn from them if possible! :)

I'm sure that many, if not most, people regardless of their ability do not like to be 'pigeon holed' and definately do not like to be stereotyped. I just feel that sometimes we need clarification - like it or not. My 'CERTIFICATE OF REGISTRATION' of disability rarely leaves my wallet, I have a letter of proof of acceptance of my disability to show if needed by 'authorities' (helps with medical costs mainly) but it rarely leaves my filing area and I have other items of 'proof', 'acknowledgement' or 'explanation' of my medical condition that very rarely see the light of day.

Do I like being labelled? No! Are the various certifacates and letters and such that I have help if needed? Yes!

Sadly, as well as living with political correctness, we live in a society that likes to label things but sometimes the 'system' appears to have 'common sense' as anything but common. :(

It may be true that we are not at any time specifically told we are disabled as such for any of many reasons (including litigation), but we (in the UK at least) can be registered as disabled with our local authorities (usually at our own request it seems).

Further to that, we (UK again) have laws or systems that 'protect' and 'clasiffy' those seen as having dissabilities. The two that come to mind are the 'Disability Descrimination Act (1995)' and the 'Equality Act (2010)' - I'm not so well versed in either!

Though I detest 'labelling' anyone in a negative manner and dislike my lacking in certain areas due to my physical health issues - particularly ataxia(s) and fibromyalgea, sometimes it actually helps not only to accept my limitations reasonably but to actively (only rarely - from time to time) tell people that I am disabled and explain how my disability affects me.

I do not wear my disablity as a badge (though I know of some that do). However, a badge can be useful in certain circumstances such as when we need help - even if we are reluctant to ask for it.

Thanks all for the interesting converation and particularly to Folsky for creating such a wonderful thread and asking such a relevant question. :)

M.

Donnybluewayne said:

It's all political correctness though isn't it? Why do you have a 'concept of a disabled person' it's a commonsense term. The point I'm making is that at no fixed point does one become disabled, nobody will say it to me. Other than one of my 'clients' who told me to 'retire you're disabled, go on the sick' he was so close to getting a thick ear !

Hi,

It as as Judith says 'a very common idea that we have to be registered' when in fact we do not have to be.

I hope I did not give the impression that I thought disabled people have to be registered as this was not the intent - just to say that we can be registered and this can, in some cases, be useful.

The very idea of mandatory registration of disabled people makes my skin crawl! I will not go into the reasons why here though.

Judith Margolis said:

This is a very common idea that we have to be 'registered' when in fact there is no such database - thank goodness. Your blue badge and DLA Disability Liiving Allowance statement will normally be enough to satisfy any criteria. Everything follows from those two bits of paper. the tax exemptions require DLA proof. It should also help with council tax benefit depending on your income. DLA gives you more points towards your claim. If you have a carer you can use the DLA statement to get carers allowance for them. (only if they are under retirement age)

See this link

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/2571.aspx

The NHS website explaining 'registering'

Hi Rose. Reading all this is very interesting. I dont know if you have a handy cap sign for your car. But I do, And it seems that everyone has one. One man came out of his car and was missing his left hand. He had one. Sorry to me he walks just fine! yes I am on disability. But I don't want to be classified as one. I still need to drive. Maybe when I get older and not doing so well. Just wanted to say hi. And how you healing?

rose said:

Thanks for asking Lori! I live in the United States, also and was clueless as to what DLA was! Sounds as though the UK has more to offer than the States, if one is disabled! ;o)

DLA isn't means tested at all, I run my own business but still get DLA it is as it says a 'living allowance' to help cope with your situation. I also have a blue badge (easy 2nd time) and free road tax, to be honest I found it all easy to get once I was advised on how to. Rely on my wife to help as my handwriting is appalling these days. You need to get your consultant and GP to write regarding it all, albeit GP's know little about ataxia as a rule. Your consultant can help with the blue badge as it basically looks for how much pain you suffer and how far can you walk (it's very limited), of course early stage ataxians do not necessarily suffer that way BUT can fall at any time, I based my appeal on that and got mine. All mine were backed up in writing by my consultant and the ataxia nurse. Hope this helps you, and good luck.

DBW

Wobblymum said:

I have been waiting for nearly a year to receive my driving licence renewal. I sent my old one in to tell them I had Ataxia and it just is taking forever. I do receive letters from the DVLA from time to time telling me it is being considered by their medical officer. Meanwhile I just continue driving as they have not said I can't. I am not claiming DLA. Is it all explained on website how to claim? Is it means tested?

Hi Lori, Yes, I agree, this discussion is very interesting! Yes, I do have a handicapped sign for my car. I didn't for several years, but when I started using a cane, I finally broke down and got one. I don't always park in a handicapped space though, as when the weather is nice, my cane and I prefer to walk a bit! It's great exercise for me, even though it's more work. If there's snow/ice or pouring down rain, my sign comes in handy. It's downright dangerous to negotiate walking in that (snow/ice)! Also, it's difficult for me to open and use an umbrella if it's raining! Yes, my hairline fractured pelvis is healing, and the egg I was sporting on the back of my head from hitting the corner of the wall (from a different fall), is almost gone. I'm extra, extra careful these days, as falling is not my idea of a good time...,ha! Thanks for asking... ;o) Hope all is well with you too!!!

It is not just the distance to the store entrance that is in question when using blue badge/disabled parking space but more importantly to me, the extra room needed to get out of the car.

I wish they would make more spaces available with extra width - they dont need to be so close to entrance as like Rose says, we could do with a little walk and some have wheelchairs anyway.

Patsy

I have member in my support group who is waiting for return of her driving licence - it is being assessed because she has reached 70 years of age. It is legal to drive whilst waiting for return but very worrying not knowing what the outcome will be.

Personally, I sent mine in for approval and renewal when I reached 70 [November 2012] and it was returned within a few weeks. As usual, it is always different for us all.

Patsy

My licence was for three years.I don't drive anymore .My licence runs out this year and the mobility car can go back.As you say Patsy it is the space required to get out of the car first with coat etc making things more difficult. I am only 53 but was worried in case I hurt someone or got reported.

Good thought Patsy! I agree, some other parking spaces should be a bit wider! In the handicapped spaces, the extra room does help when getting out of the car!

Rose ;o)

Here in the UK the parent/child parking spaces are often closer to the venue/supermarket than disabled bays, why is this ? If people are fit enough to have children they are fit enough to look after them and not at the expense of anyone who is disabled. Grrrr

I agree Donnybluewayne. Disabled parking should ONLY be for people who have trouble walking. Or in a wheelchair. No other reason. We are now starting parent with children parking at some places. Do not agree with the either.

Lori, what about people on oxygen or with heart disease, who have trouble breathing when they walk? I don't, just asking your opinion... ;o)

I think supermarkets should take the trouble to ask their customers what they think - it seems obvious to me that it is more space to get out of the car that is needed for both disabled and mothers with babies and toddlers preferably next to the footpath. I saw a lady in normal parking space use her mobile/cell phone to call the store for mobility scooter to be brought out to her - that seemed good plan.

Patsy