Blue Badges

Hi al

I use one but have just read about two incidents involving disabled people.

One got fined because the clock wasn't displayed properly and another was fined for parking on a dropped kerb. Both were displaying their blue badges.One of our group also got a ticket for displaying their blue badge the wrong way up. Just wanted to pass this on as it might help someone.There are nit picking traffic wardens out there.

Hi Marie!
Honestly, doesn’t it make you wonder! I’m seriously thinking about applying for a blue badge.
At the moment I’m not eligible for any benefits but at the conference someone told me I could
pay a fee and get a badge. It would make such a difference if I could get one, apart from the
obvious benefits, narrow parking spaces freak me out! xB

My goodness. your traffic wardens must be awful. I don't think our's ( Aus) would do that. They are really shameful. What on earth do they do to able bodied people?

Hi,

The blue badge scheme is really useful & helps a lot of people with disabilities to access areas easier by being able to park nearer to their end point. There are however picky wardens out there who have been given targets by there council , so although it is the warden who issues the ticket it maybe because they are getting pressure to have a certain number of bookings per day. Also although the blue badge allows us to park in more spaces we still have to stick to the law, we cannot park were we want. Kerbs are normally dropped for a reason e.g. drive way access and the wheelchair users among you wouldn't be happy if you couldn't easily cross the road because cars had parked across all dropped kerbs.

Sorry to moan! Pauline.

I’ve just waded through our councils on line blue badge application form. It seems I could apply
and if considered eligible, would be issued one by paying £10.00 xB

You are not moaning Pauline. What I meant was it was a bit mean to book them for having their badge and clock upside down .I know parking on a dropped curb and parking in the wrong space is a No No.
Pauline Brotherton said:

Hi,

The blue badge scheme is really useful & helps a lot of people with disabilities to access areas easier by being able to park nearer to their end point. There are however picky wardens out there who have been given targets by there council , so although it is the warden who issues the ticket it maybe because they are getting pressure to have a certain number of bookings per day. Also although the blue badge allows us to park in more spaces we still have to stick to the law, we cannot park were we want. Kerbs are normally dropped for a reason e.g. drive way access and the wheelchair users among you wouldn't be happy if you couldn't easily cross the road because cars had parked across all dropped kerbs.

Sorry to moan! Pauline.

I dont want to be SMUG, but

Blue Badges in Wales are FREE

Trust Wales to show the way! xB

Neither do I (want to be smug). LOL Our version of your Blue Badge is free here in Au. BUT we have to pay a yearly fee t get our taxi's half price.

Alan Thomas said:

Why don't we start a ,can't find the word, where we say what we get or don't get, what is free and what is not. It would be good to know about each others country. Good idea or not?

bron said:

Neither do I (want to be smug). LOL Our version of your Blue Badge is free here in Au. BUT we have to pay a yearly fee t get our taxi's half price.

Alan Thomas said:

wales Blue Badges are Bi-Lingual Welsh and English (2 for the FREE 1 !!) HaHaHa

Ontario - Accessible Parking Permit (our version of the "Blue Badge") is free - once a doctor okays it, then the ministry issues it.

I have a Blue Badge all I had to do was send a Letter from my Neurologist and they gave me one Its not £10 for a renewal as mine was I had one for my Knees which I had partially replaced 7 years ago, but I still have to watch for the traffic wardens but is of a great help when Parking.

I live in San Diego and have a handicap placard, and I love it.....the police are not nearly as strict here, doesn't seem like.

Where do you live? They haven't been that bad here yet.

I live in San Diego.

Here in Aus a doctor signs a form we take it to our council and they send us a "disabled sticker" free of charge.

I'm a wheelchair user and it really annoys me when people park on dropped curbs. Just saying.

And on the badge there are simple instructions about which way up to display it, otherwise they can't see your details.. But the clock thing is confusing - there are so many different rules.

Hi all,

Traffic wardens should use some common sense but it seems at times they do not.

That said (written), the blue badge scheme in the UK or its equivalent elsewhere affords those with disabilities some privileges not given to other drivers. Drivers using the blue badge should be aware of the regulations on using said and be aware that the blue badge does not in anyway give the user the right to break the law.

As unpopular as those previous statements may make me, I am only being truthful.

As a disabled person I use a mobility scooter (I cannot walk at all far) and, from time to time, a wheelchair that I usually propel myself. The amount of times I have had to double back on my route because of an inconsiderate driver blocking a pavement or parking on a dropped kerb is simply unreal. Those dropped kerbs are there as access points for wheelchair, mobility scooter, pushchair and pram users (and any others that need such access) and should not be (usually illegally) blocked. As for parking on pavements, don't even get me started!

It is a pity that some traffic wardens cannot use a bit of common sense or sympathy - this is true. It is also a pity that some drivers (blue badge users included) are inconsiderate and cause obstruction.

As a former blue badge user I know what a privilege it was to have and use the blue badge and if I can get a regular driver or set thereof I will send for another blue badge. I know though that it will be my responsibility to ensure the blue badge is not misused and to point that out to the driver assisting me.

As for getting the new blue badge, I have a printed application form at home and understand that, in the UK at least, we can apply online or at least apply for an application form online and the price of a blue badge is £10 (per year / per renewal I'm told).

@Marie; Please do not be offended by my rant! I do know how useful and important the blue badge scheme is. I also have sympathy for those unfortunates that are unfairly, unjustly or unsympathetically targeted by traffic wardens. I have no sympathy for any driver that is targeted by wardens when the driver is clearly at fault (in particular dropped kerb and pavement blockers) though - disabled or not.

I am a wheelchair and mobility scooter user too.I know how infuriating it is to have to backtrack.When I used a rollator I used dropped kerbs frequently.

I use my blue badge very wisely as an ex driver.The blue badge scheme takes the hassle out of parking but it needs to be used wisely and according to the laws as many of you have said.

Marie