Chia Seeds

Thanks so much for everyone who posted a reply on my last post, so helpful. While I know I am supported by my family for the first time I felt understood.

A few of you mentioned Chia Seeds as being helpful. I have a health food cafe about five minutes away and bought some yesterday. Just wondering for those who find these seeds helpful, how much do you use? How do you use them, I've put about 2 tsps in a banana smoothie yesterday and today. I've used that amount so my tummy can get used to the extra fibre :0

Thanks, Lucy

sorry no clue

Hi lucy, i make a drink of the seeds i put 6 teaspoons in a pyrex jug & add half pint water plus somekind of juice to taste i keep it in the fridge i just stir it up &drink half in the morning & the rest in the evening.then i make another jug for the next day,you may notice that your skin will feel kind of smooth or soft good luck hope the help, Frank'o

Nice one Frank'o, six teaspoons sounds reasonable for a day. I had two tsps in a soy banana smoothie this morning and was so full. It looks like Chia seeds have a good amount of Omega 3's and lots of other goodies so I can see why it may be helpful. Lucy

franko said:

Hi lucy, i make a drink of the seeds i put 6 teaspoons in a pyrex jug & add half pint water plus somekind of juice to taste i keep it in the fridge i just stir it up &drink half in the morning & the rest in the evening.then i make another jug for the next day,you may notice that your skin will feel kind of smooth or soft good luck hope the help, Frank'o

Hi Lucy!

When I googled Chia seeds I read that they were Gluten Free, a bonus for many

of us! It was interesting to find someone used them as an egg substitute, once

they'd gelled with water. xB

Yes, I've heard that too, they they get used by vegans as a binding agent. Looks like they have many benefits. I also like go gluten free as much as possible, but I do have some 'moments' then the next day my eyes are red and puffy!

Beryl Park said:

Hi Lucy!

Hi Lucy!

Still googling them! One fly in the ointment I found, and of course you just have

trust your own judgement a lot of the time. I got side tracked and ended up on

a Paleo Diet site. There were views from 'experts', one of them said not to eat

them if you had an autoimmune disease. All in all, the opinion was, a long as

you don't over indulge, they're good for you. Also, don't forget to keep up fluids

because of the potential binding effect. xB

Lucy said:

Yes, I've heard that too, they they get used by vegans as a binding agent. Looks like they have many benefits. I also like go gluten free as much as possible, but I do have some 'moments' then the next day my eyes are red and puffy!

Beryl Park said:

Hi Lucy!

I just ordered some milled chia seed from Amazon and received it last week.

I’m going to add it to a spinach-apple juice - sounds disgusting to some, I know - and I had the same question…how much chia seed? I’ll start with 4 t. and work upto 6 t. Thanks Franko.

I put about 1 TBLS in my yogurt each day, but you can put them in just about anything, as they're tasteless (at east to me). I use the black ones, although I've heard they come in red or white (have no idea what the difference is, if there is any). There's 70 calories per TBLS w/6 grams fiber, 2.9 grams Omega 3 (fatty acids) and 3 grams Protein. I live in the States and buy mine at Trader Joe's. although I've seen them at other places. Also, as others have mentioned, you can buy them online. ;o)

I love spinach, cucumber, celery and lemon juiced. :)

Glitter on Butterflies said:

I just ordered some milled chia seed from Amazon and received it last week.

I'm going to add it to a spinach-apple juice - sounds disgusting to some, I know - and I had the same question...how much chia seed? I'll start with 4 t. and work upto 6 t. Thanks Franko.

I've been lucky enough to find them locally, I was originally thinking of the upper amount that Frank'o mentioned but they are 'moving' my tummy, so I'll stick to 2 tsps right now!!! I'm having them in a banana smoothie in the morning. I'm on Diamox at the moment so trying to keep my potassium levels up too!!

rose said:

I put about 1 TBLS in my yogurt each day, but you can put them in just about anything, as they're tasteless (at east to me). I use the black ones, although I've heard they come in red or white (have no idea what the difference is, if there is any). There's 70 calories per TBLS w/6 grams fiber, 2.9 grams Omega 3 (fatty acids) and 3 grams Protein. I live in the States and buy mine at Trader Joe's. although I've seen them at other places. Also, as others have mentioned, you can buy them online. ;o)

I use Chia Seeds also in lot's of ways! One of the best that I like to do is add water to 2T and Berries and Cinnamon, mix and put it in the refidge over night so in the morning it's gelled and I eat it as breakfast cereal. I think they are a great source of Protein in the morning.

I've been told that 4oz protein = 2T seeds, so that's what I use.

Sounds good Jeannie, a nice way to get some protein in at breakfast time.

Jeannie Ball said:

I use Chia Seeds also in lot's of ways! One of the best that I like to do is add water to 2T and Berries and Cinnamon, mix and put it in the refidge over night so in the morning it's gelled and I eat it as breakfast cereal. I think they are a great source of Protein in the morning.

I've been told that 4oz protein = 2T seeds, so that's what I use.