Email scam from this site

Hi all, just wanted to make everyone aware off a potential scam. I received an email yesterday from a PAULINE ATTA asking me to contact her regarding a sensitive issue. Thinking it was linked to a condition similar to mine as she said she had read my profile I emailed her last night. This morning I had a reply explaining she was a medical student who needed help accessing her inheritance from her murdered family by transferring money to my account, offering me a percentage of 4.5 million us dollars. Straight away I was suspicious and having googled her, she has profiles on all sorts of sites for different medical conditions, similar to this one. Many of these report the member as a scam and I wanted to flag it for members here. You may well have seen this before as a little research shows posts from her going back a few years, but it seems she has targeted potenially vulnerable people to prey upon and I want to ensure nobody falls victim to it. Thanks for reading.

Dean

Dear Dean,

I got the same email from "Pauiline Atta" and just will delete it. Thanks for the heads up. Neta from Jerusalem, Israel

I think she has my email address because her first message was under the guise of having a similar condition, does having aolely my email address put any of my personal details as risk?

I got the same thing.. glad its sorted :)

I also was contacted. Naively I sent her an e-mail. My husband instantly recognised this as a scam, he gets them every day at work. How low can people get?

I was also naive and emailed her Beryl :)

Beryl Park said:

I also was contacted. Naively I sent her an e-mail. My husband instantly recognised this as a scam, he gets them every day at work. How low can people get?

I a lso sent her an email but deleted her response. You are not alone. I should have known better because in 2011, I got hit by that "Nigerian" scam. They broke into my email and I had to change it plus get a new password. Gmail helped me retrieve my old account and give it a new password. N

Beryl Park said:

I got this too :s

I received an e-mail and answered. which problem can happen with my e-mail?

john,

OK! I'M GOING TO DO LIKE YOU SAY,LIKE I'M BRAZILIAN. I THINK DIFICULT IT SENDS MINE

Hello all, I too recieved a message from her. I told her I do not give my email adress to strangers. I haven't heard a thing since.

Thanks for the heads-up! ;o)

I was also emailed, but thought it sounded suspicious. So glad I didn't reply!

Well, stupid me....since I am new to this site, I thought it was legit and emailed her. I was hacked. So definetly do NOT email her.

If only we could get those hackers to spend time in ataxia research instead of spending their time figuring out how to mess up someone's day!

I agree whole-heartedly, Mom of ataxic! ;o)

She emailed me too. I reported her as spam. I also had my daughter in law, an attorney, advise her to cease this scam. Unfortunately there is no way of knowing where this is coming from. If we cannot block her from this site, we should at least address this issue with every member.

Hi Mom of ataxic, Just for the record, I agreed with what you said about hackers and research, not that you were "stupid" to have emailed the hacker! You are in no way stupid! I have a very trusting nature, and would have emailed her also had I been contacted! I wasn't voted "most gullible" in high school (100 years ago) mock elections for nothing...,LOL! ;o)