Need help please

I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for an outdoor walker? Something with big wheels. We have a lot of rocks here so trying to get outside with my indoor walker is a real chore. Thank you so much!

:slightly_smiling_face: Trionic make Veloped rollators. Theyā€™re super sturdy, and can cope confidently with most outdoor conditions. But they are very expensive. Thereā€™s the advantage of airpressured tyres, rather than rock hard ā€˜plasticā€™, and this reduces vibration. Several different models are available, some can be bought from Amazon. One disadvantage I could see from viewing a video, it doesnā€™t seem easy to fold one down and fit it into a car boot. But, apart from that, Iā€™d definitely consider buying one :slightly_smiling_face: xB

I see the Drive Nitro and am very interested. What do you think about that one?

:slightly_smiling_face: I ā€˜had a goā€™ of someoneā€™s Nitro and I liked it :+1: My own rollator ā€˜lets go outā€™ by Trust, is very light, itā€™s great on a flat smooth surface, superb manouverability but, there have been times when Iā€™ve almost overturned it because of poor balance. Itā€™s not suitable for walking where I live, the footpaths are poor, and the tyres are rock hard ā€˜plasticā€™. I canā€™t tolerate the vibration. So, Iā€™m seriously considering getting a heavier rollator with airpressured tyres. My NeuroPhysio suggested putting weights on my current one, this would be cheaper than buying another rollator, but it wouldnā€™t solve the vibration problem :slightly_smiling_face: xB

The Nitro looks awesome! I have a wheelchair and a tub bench made by Drive. They are far superior products compared with others that are similar in my opinion. I think Drive makes good, reliable, quality products. They seem to be reasonably priced for what you get.
If I was still able to navigate outdoor terrains, I think I would have a similar one. I have rough, unforgiving ground as well.
I would not hesitate to purchase items manufactured by Drive.

This unit (heavy duty) may benefit having pneumatic tires. Although, I know from my past engineering and design experience that shock absorbers on rough terrain may be easier?

On YouTube.com you can view Rollz Motion All in One Rollator Wheelchair. It could be a useful combination. But the video showed an exceptionally tall person demonstratingā€¦it was a bit offputting, it looked as though he had to stoop even with the handles raised :roll_eyes: xB

Excuse my naivety, Is it possible to fit shock absorbers to a rollator :thinking: I just found Drive DeVilbiss, it has shock absorbing suspension :slightly_smiling_face: xB

Thank you so much Hutchy and Beryl! I put 10 pounds of weight in my Rollator to help with control. My rollator is a hand me down and Iā€™m cutting myself on door frames. Out for dinner last week and I saw a man with shock absorbers on his Nitro. As Iā€™m only 5ā€™1, even my rollator makes me lean. I love the adjustable handlebars on the Nitro. I have to remind myself to stand up straight :roll_eyes:. Iā€™m gonna do some more research (because thatā€™s who I am :stuck_out_tongue:) but Iā€™m very interested in getting it! Thank you again!

1 Like

Yesā€¦I was ā€œshockedā€!Lol :joy: (sorry)

"!https://www.amazon.ca/Drive-Medical-Heavy-Walker-Rollator/dp/B071VCYGQQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1549104865&sr=8-3&keywords=nitro+walker%2F+rollator

It appears that Drive manufactures several versions of the Nitro including this one, a heavy duty model which includes shocks and is double the price from the plain version. You may notice they also make a carbon fiber version that lists at $1000.00 CDN! :open_mouth:

1 Like

Depending on your location, you may have a specialized fitting service available.
When I first got my rollator #1 they helped me apply for funding via our provincial government. Called the Assistive Devices Program (ADP) #2 an occupational therapist assessed me and helped me select the most suitable unit for me. I would not have believed so much thought would go into a rollator, but the therapist measured, weighed, and assessed my walking among other things. All to make sure that I got a rollator that was right for me. Maybe it was just a case of job creation, I donā€™t know, but it was worth it in the end to be fitted properly.
I started out with a hand-me-down rollator too. It seemed awkward and clumsy. Once I got fitted with a new one, what an incredible difference!

1 Like