U step walker

I’m now the proud ‘owner’ (actually it’s on loan to be returned when I die) of this
They’re designed for people with brain problems to give stability and have a variety of adaptations for extra stability and a special light for Parkinson’s disease. I live in UK but available in USA too (and probably elsewhere). I can now get out and about better.

2 Likes

What’s the difference between a U step walker and a rollator?

Exactly Shoaib! I have great experience with this one.

Well it’s all those things that I mentioned and more sturdy, Most rollators are designed for people with bad kegs. These are designed for people who have bad brains like me. They help us to balance better because - as I understand it - the bulky, weighty parts are lower - eg 7 wheels and a double frame. So if will help you not to fall - though nothing will stop that all together. They can have additional weights too if you need them and they fit onto the double frame at the bottom. But at the end of the day, I wonder same as you, it’s just a different type of rollator. I see you have another response -Henry, can youtell us more about your experience.

Sure! Being tall (6’-3" or 190.5 cm) this unit can be adjusted. I also looked at how heavy to store in a car. It is one of the lightest (17lbs or 17.7 kg). The only negative is not being a “wheelchair” to transport around.

That sounds ok. I thought you were going to give us a load of negatives on the day I got it, Phew! :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile:

:slightly_smiling_face: It obviously has a lot of features, I’m just wondering, due to the small wheels does it cause much vibration ?

It doesn’t vibrate as much as some. That was one of the issues I was looking out for. Another rollator I looked at was very poor on this issue - and on falling into potholes and taking you with it. I’ve never had a rollator or whatever you call it, so I can’t compare much but I think :thinking: this one’s better. I didn’t want tyres that need repairing and pumping up so I think this is a happy medium. The grey wheel is fixed in its direction. I think :thinking: it would be better if the front wheels were fixed and steered like a bicycle. Being unexperienced I don’t know what drawbacks that might have but again, this seems a happy medium. The battery and cue are optional for the laser beam. I don’t have those.

I’ve found out now (24 hours later) that only the middle front wheel and the two grey wheels actually touch the ground when it’s a flat surface. I think the other four are to help keep you steady on uneven surfaces. Also the kerb step curve is a bit useless when you have balancing problems. There’s 6 videos on google and not one of them illustrate how it’s supposed to be used. The seat is not wonderful. It seems short and the back rest is not great - not like a wheelchair.

I bought a very similar rollator this past Tuesday (March 16, 2021) and am very happy with it (brand is Nexus 3). Thought I would be mostly using it outside but am using it a lot inside as it speeds up my mobility considerably (I call it my ‘sports car’ : ) ). Big feature that I like is its manner of folding. Like yours it folds along the axis in which one is moving.

:slightly_smiling_face: It took me a while to get used to my rollator, it’s a bit like when you get a new car :wink:

1 Like

It’s good in many ways and I’m happy for you
There are so many different things to consider and you can’t have them all in one. Bigger wheels cope better with gravel surface in many car parks. Consealed brake cables avoid them catching. Folding sideways is useful between restaurant tables. Good width is needed for wide gait or you kick the wheel. Light weight may be a consideration too. I have 3… 1 for indoors … 1 for garden, 1 for long walks and power chair indoors just in case. Once you have chosen one relax and enjoy it xx

Trouble is Patsy, the physiotherapist who advised me to get it, came to see me yesterday. She said it’s for local use only. That’s ridiculous. Shouldn’t she be encouraging me rather than curtailing me? Like you, I live in UK where everything revolves round safety issues. Perhaps I should emigrate.

Not heard that one before but emigration wouldn’t appeal to me … it’s a personal choice… lots of different rules tho . Aka the postcode lottery. Things are changing all the time. Take care. Stay safe and don’t forget to smile xx

:thinking: Saying ‘for local use only’ isn’t really helpful is it. Generally speaking it’s said that ‘the larger the wheels the better’…But I can see this type being very supportive and safe indoors…

Copied from www.ustep.com

I have ataxia, and I knew that I was needing something because I was having a lot of trouble getting around outside. I was avoiding doing things outside with friends and family because of the ambulatory issue.

Now that I have the u-step, I am more active outside. Over the weekend I participated in my first 5K. I walked, but I made it the whole way! Without the U-Step, I could never be able to make it a quarter of the distance. When I go mall walking and shopping, it is right there along with me. I have noticed that when I am out and about, I have more confidence. It has had a profound impact on my outlook. Thank you so much for creating this amazing aid!

Hi cross_eyes… glad you have found something to help you get out and about a bit. The new walker seems to fit the bill for you, fortunately there are a few different types so there seems to be something suitable for most folk. I live in a country village with not too many footpaths, the lanes in and around my house are not too smooth either but I found a model by Topro that has 9 inch rear wheels and 11 inch front wheels. The large wheels are a big improvement for roughish terrain and also make mounting and dismounting curb edges easier where appropriate. The large wheels are a bit clumsy in shops around town so I have a smaller wheeled Careco model which I keep in the car boot … fortunately my wife can drive as my licence was suspended due to my imbalance problem. Good luck with your new found rollator…:blush:

@Beryl_Park 5K! My physio would have a heart attack if I did that! I feel very cross with her.
Shouldn’t she be encouraging me to do as well as I can?

@seafret Thankyou for your comment. My name is Peter. I can’t remember why I called myself cross_eyes. I am going to change it, Any good ideas? Something with Peter in it. I wondered about Petercheetah

Hi Peter… Nice to hear from you. Hope you continue to get plenty of use from your rollator, I wouldn’t get out much at all without mine but this ataxia thing is so strange with me 'cos I do manage to potter about in the garden as long as I do ‘standing still’ jobs like trimming a bush or painting a fence panel. I do of course have a stick handy for when I need to move forward at all. After about three quarters of an hour pottering about I usually then lay on the bed and have a nod for an hour…but I think that is age related as we!l (84 in June) however I’m still enjoying life with a good wife who keeps an eye on me. Looking forward to some better weather now and maybe a potter around our local garden centre when things ease a bit. Today I get my booster jab so things are looking up. :grin:
Good luck with your new name selection, I chose Seafret many years ago because whenever I went for a coastal day out it was always so foggy (seafret) and couldn’t really enjoy the view.
Best of luck,
Ian

:thinking: I would imagine a physio has to walk a fine line between encouragement and erring on the side of caution. It could be that she advises ‘staying local’ until you feel completely at ease with the new walker :thinking: