New Friend

It has been a crazy couple of months. Over the summer by wife made a few comments that I should look into getting a service dog, and I thought she was not serious because she's afraid of dogs but finally I said I would look into it. The journey has been amazing. Within a week Emmett bonded with me and I started to take him home a few nights at a time. It will be three weeks ago on Wednesday he officially became mine. There is a wonderful place in Ipswich Massachusetts called the Service Dog Project, there they breed, train, Great Danes to be of service dogs for people with mobility issues. It is a nonprofit organization that relies solely on the generosity of others for support. If you are interested in finding out about this wonderful organization or supporting it go to their website. servicedogproject.org

What Emmett does for me is amazing. If I go down a stairway with no hand rails he is trained to take the up and down the stairs one at a time, if I fall is trained to lie down next to me and when I get to my knees he stands up and then not able to stand up myself, he helps me get off the couch, walk up and down inclines and much much more.

I take him everywhere with me. To the gym, volunteering, shopping, dining out, walks around the neighborhood, doctors appointments, and Dunkin' Donuts. He has not left my side in nearly a month and a half. I can't walk out of the room, use the restroom, sleep without him next to me. He always has an eye on me.

When I walk for him some distances, I know that people must have been thinking that guy is drunk. His trainer told me that people will now look at Emmett and not looked at me, and then do.

I haven't felt this great about myself in a long time, I know I still have ataxia but having Emmett really helps.

Jack

Wow this is great!! I have been thinking about getting a service dog for a while now and am happy to hear your review. Do you know if you have to live in MA to be considered by this organization? Great Danes sure are great for us because they are big enough to let us lean on them :)

runner said:

Wow this is great!! I have been thinking about getting a service dog for a while now and am happy to hear your review. Do you know if you have to live in MA to be considered by this organization? Great Danes sure are great for us because they are big enough to let us lean on them :)

I know they have helped other people outside of Massachusetts but it helps if you live close to them, there is a lot of travel back and forth

Fantastic, Jack! You look so happy with your new friend, Emmett! I wish you many years of this happiness! ;o)