Service dog?

Does anybody have a service dog? I'm thinking of getting one because I've heard they can help for balance problems and help brace you if you fall. But the wait time to get a pre trained dog can be several years. I'm considering getting a dog and training him myself. Has anybody gone through this? Does anyone have any advice on training or service dogs in general? Have you had good or bad experiences with your service dog? Thanks!

I have a 12 pound Shih Tzu. She is my “service dog”. She makes my blood pressure stay down, gives me unconditional love. She makes me happy and I don’t worry about my condition as much. She is trained to use indoor poopie pads. Everyone needs a somebody that makes them smile and brings happiness into their day. She is my somebody!

I'm not sure how a service dog would help. I think a companion would be much better. I think you would do better if you try to do Occupational therapy and Physical therapy to help you with balance.

I believe in pet therapy. whether you are a dog or cat person. I have two cats and they are always around me, sitting next to me, on me, or sitting on me when I sleep. They are affectionate, they really do make a difference to your mood, when you are feeling down. Not everyone likes animals though, so its a personal choice.

My husband has a service dog. He is wonderful! Hubby drops lots of things and the dog is right there to pick them up. He stands guard when he showers. He takes off shoes and socks. Much of what the dog has done is improve his confidence and serve as a focus when out in public. Now people spend more time talking to him, about the dog mostly. Husband is too tall for helping him with balance, but I have seen dogs help with balance and "brace" to help them get up when they have fallen. The only down side that I have seen is that sometimes reacting to the dogs needs are delayed, whether that is because of the ataxia or just unique to my husband is not known. Look up the IAADP for someplace near you that trains service dogs. I will be happy to answer any specific questions.

Hello,

I live in California, have SCA1 and am thinking about getting a service mobility dog for balance. There are services in Ca., but do not train for balance. What was the process your husband had to go through?

Nosy said:

My husband has a service dog. He is wonderful! Hubby drops lots of things and the dog is right there to pick them up. He stands guard when he showers. He takes off shoes and socks. Much of what the dog has done is improve his confidence and serve as a focus when out in public. Now people spend more time talking to him, about the dog mostly. Husband is too tall for helping him with balance, but I have seen dogs help with balance and "brace" to help them get up when they have fallen. The only down side that I have seen is that sometimes reacting to the dogs needs are delayed, whether that is because of the ataxia or just unique to my husband is not known. Look up the IAADP for someplace near you that trains service dogs. I will be happy to answer any specific questions.

Check out servicedogproject.org. I have a dog from there

Hi,

They only service the northeast.

Jack said:

Check out servicedogproject.org. I have a dog from there

I have a balance dog. He is trained to provide counterbalance when I walk. He wears a harness with a handle that I hold. He can also brace to help you get up from the floor. He is helpful with stability for standing still; he leans against my legs.

He came from an agency. I also considered training one to avoid the wait. I would advise you to do a lot of reading online. There are forums about service dogs and forums about training your own service dog. I decided that if I trained my own I would only do it with the help of a professional. But then I got paired with this guy pretty quickly due to a fluke and didn't have to.

Another thing that is really helpful about having a service dog at work is that he loves me the same whether I'm having a terrible day and it is hard to walk, or a great day and I can let him go run in a field for a minute. Somehow it is less embarrassing walking with him.

I would talk with a service dog trainer and/or PT and think carefully about your needs, strengths and weaknesses. Are the things you need help with things that can be translated into service dog tasks? A dog is not something to lean on as a walker can be, but they can provide counterbalance. Do you have the arm stability and grip strength to hold a harness? Or maybe for a person using a wheelchair, would having a dog who can pick up dropped items, open doors, retrieve meds be helpful? Just some thoughts. Good luck!