Service Dogs

I was asked about how does someone go about getting a service dog and where should she look.

She wanted to know what kind of dog to get also.

I thought this was a great question to pose to the group so I can give her information. She has ataxia also. Thanks for any help you can give today! :0)

I'm glad you brought this up, I'm wondering also!

Check out the ADA (American Disabilities Act). There are a variety of service animals(physical, emotional, etc). They each have specific training and certification requirements as well as travel and access regulations. Google it.

Hi, I'm getting my dog this summer. When I started, it was so confusing. So many of the web sites didn't answer my questions.

First of all, what State are you in? Or country? I found that using an agency in my state worked out the best for me. There were two reputable agencies in Washington State. The one I chose was Brigadoon Service dogs two hours away.

I'm getting ahead of myself. I first started by getting all the books I could on service dogs. Really good information, not on how to aquire a dog, but lots of great stuff on service dogs. Then I did a search on Washington State Service dogs. I found Brigadoon and downloaded their application, filled it out and sent it off. You also will have to have your doctor sign off on it. Soon I got a call and was asked to come in for an interview. We talked about what I needed a dog for, their training program, expectations, etc. They match the dog to you.

I ended up with a long haired Collie named Cooper. I visit him as often as I can. He might be ready by August. It usually takes a couple of years.

Their dogs are trained to run on a treadmill, turn on and off lights, shut doors, pick up objects you might drop, bring you the phone when it rings, brace to help you up if fall, bark and alert people if you do fall, and that's just the tip of the iceburg.

The reason you might want to consider a service dog agency close to you because if you're assigned a dog you'll need to work with him and it's nice to be somewhat close.

I hope this helped... Jackie

Hi puppyteeth!

Cooper looks a real charmer!

Last year I was at an AtaxiaUK conference and met some people with service dogs.

The tasks they can help with! Plus, they must be an enormous source of comfort.

I bet you're quite excited!

I'm so excited. When service dogs are puppies they go to a family to be raised for the first year. Then they go back to the agency for intensive training for a year. I was lucky enough to get to puppy raise Cooper. About once a month I'd take him back to Brigadoon where I'd bathe him and they'd show me how to train him for new behaviors. At five months old I got a spinal tumor and he had to go back to Brigadoon. I don't know what hurt worse, having to send Cooper back or my spine.

The good thing is, we're already bonded. When I had him, he was pure puppy, I couldn't image him being a working dog. He's now a year and a half old and is beautifully behaved and eager to learn.

Here's some puppy pictures, one at eight weeks, 12 weeks and four months.

With knowing him from being a puppy, you'll have a special bond with him. I'm sure he's worth

the wait. He really is gorgeous! Enjoy him!

puppyteeth said:

I'm so excited. When service dogs are puppies they go to a family to be raised for the first year. Then they go back to the agency for intensive training for a year. I was lucky enough to get to puppy raise Cooper. About once a month I'd take him back to Brigadoon where I'd bathe him and they'd show me how to train him for new behaviors. At five months old I got a spinal tumor and he had to go back to Brigadoon. I don't know what hurt worse, having to send Cooper back or my spine.

The good thing is, we're already bonded. When I had him, he was pure puppy, I couldn't image him being a working dog. He's now a year and a half old and is beautifully behaved and eager to learn.

Here's some puppy pictures, one at eight weeks, 12 weeks and four months.

Thank you for your detailed information about service dogs. I will pass this on to her. She will appreciate it and I think I'll keep it in my file if I ever need to get one too.

puppyteeth said:

Hi, I'm getting my dog this summer. When I started, it was so confusing. So many of the web sites didn't answer my questions.

First of all, what State are you in? Or country? I found that using an agency in my state worked out the best for me. There were two reputable agencies in Washington State. The one I chose was Brigadoon Service dogs two hours away.

I'm getting ahead of myself. I first started by getting all the books I could on service dogs. Really good information, not on how to aquire a dog, but lots of great stuff on service dogs. Then I did a search on Washington State Service dogs. I found Brigadoon and downloaded their application, filled it out and sent it off. You also will have to have your doctor sign off on it. Soon I got a call and was asked to come in for an interview. We talked about what I needed a dog for, their training program, expectations, etc. They match the dog to you.

I ended up with a long haired Collie named Cooper. I visit him as often as I can. He might be ready by August. It usually takes a couple of years.

Their dogs are trained to run on a treadmill, turn on and off lights, shut doors, pick up objects you might drop, bring you the phone when it rings, brace to help you up if fall, bark and alert people if you do fall, and that's just the tip of the iceburg.

The reason you might want to consider a service dog agency close to you because if you're assigned a dog you'll need to work with him and it's nice to be somewhat close.

I hope this helped... Jackie

Thanks for all the help everyone has given. Sharing information is so valuable! Aren't we lucky we have a place we can share and ask others their opinons. I value this cite allot and everyone here too! :0)

Glad this questions being asked again! I asked a similar question awhile back (few months), got pointed in the direction of the usual 2 charities 'Dogs for the disabled' (who have temp closed applications) and 'Canine Partners' (who I have applied too but have a 2 year wait), both these charities don't do mobility/balance dogs. The other direction I was pointed in was to go private. No particular breed was mentioned.

After speaking to trainers and people with these dogs (they do provide mobility and balance dogs in America) I have come to the conclusion that the temperament is more important than the breed.

For reference mobility/balance dogs usually need to be big enough to support there 'partner'. Breeds I've been recommended to look at are: German Shepherds, Rottweilers, Dobermans, Great Danes, Golden Retrievers (although these may be a-little small for some), Old English Sheepdogs (could be little small for some again), Leonbergers, Newfoundlands, Pyrenean Mountain dogs, Swiss Mountain dogs, Mastiffs (can and do drool!), crosses of the above, etc.

Where is the person located who needs a dog I may be able to provide a-bit advice? :)

Some Info. for Taryn (hope your fine and Dandy)

http://www.caninepartners.org.uk/

http://www.assistancedogs.org.uk/

http://padogsuk.org/

Alan

Hi, thanks Alan. I've applied to Canine Partners, PADoguk.org says applications are closed and assistancedogs.org.uk have provided some useful information :-).

When I get a support dog I'll post how I did it, etc for other UK members information :-)

She's here in Ca. USA. Thanks for your guidance.

Taryn Cotton said:

Glad this questions being asked again! I asked a similar question awhile back (few months), got pointed in the direction of the usual 2 charities 'Dogs for the disabled' (who have temp closed applications) and 'Canine Partners' (who I have applied too but have a 2 year wait), both these charities don't do mobility/balance dogs. The other direction I was pointed in was to go private. No particular breed was mentioned.

After speaking to trainers and people with these dogs (they do provide mobility and balance dogs in America) I have come to the conclusion that the temperament is more important than the breed.

For reference mobility/balance dogs usually need to be big enough to support there 'partner'. Breeds I've been recommended to look at are: German Shepherds, Rottweilers, Dobermans, Great Danes, Golden Retrievers (although these may be a-little small for some), Old English Sheepdogs (could be little small for some again), Leonbergers, Newfoundlands, Pyrenean Mountain dogs, Swiss Mountain dogs, Mastiffs (can and do drool!), crosses of the above, etc.

Where is the person located who needs a dog I may be able to provide a-bit advice? :)