Rollator for ataxia patient...best one

What Rollator should I purchase? I’m about 6 feet tall…190 lbs… Have cerebellar ataxia…
Thanks,
Michael

:slightly_smiling_face: Even taking height and weight into consideration, not everyone’s requirements will be the same. Some people may feel more confident with a ‘heavier’ rollator, and some people may need one which allows for a wider gait. I found a site which gives tips and advice, this is very useful because often there are things that need to be taken into consideration before laying out money :wink: justwalkers.com gives helpful information on a variety of mobility aids. Click on the link, and then look to the very top of the page, and click on ‘tips and advice’ :slightly_smiling_face:
My particular rollator is manufactured by a Swedish company Trustcare, the type is called ‘let’s go out’. (for some reason the direct link failed) Initially it served me well because my balance and stability were more predictable, and I particularly liked it because it was lightweight, and easily manoeuvrable. As my condition has progressed, and my overall balance is poor, I’m finding the stability of the rollator can at times be unreliable. Maybe it’s time to consider a different type :thinking: xB

1 Like

Beryl_Park

:slightly_smiling_face: Even taking height and weight into consideration, not everyone’s requirements will be the same. Some people may feel more confident with a ‘heavier’ rollator, and some people may need one which allows for a wider gait. I found a site which gives tips and advice, this is very useful because often there are things that need to be taken into consideration before laying out money www.justwalkers.com gives helpful information on a variety of mobility aids. Click on the link, and then look to the very top of the page, and click on ‘help and advice’.
My particular rollator is manufactured by trustcare.se the type is called ‘let’s go out’. Initially it served me well because my balance and stability were more predictable, and I particularly liked it because it was lightweight, and easily manoeuvrable. As my condition has progressed, I’m finding the stability can at times be unreliable. Maybe it’s time to consider a change :thinking: xB

Many companies and disability stores will specially fit you with the proper rollator. They usually let you try them out to find the best one and make adjustments just for you. Since each of us are different, suggestions may be irrelevant. However, brand suggestions may be helpful. I have a Evolution Xpresso Tall.I It was about $700.00CDN and I qualified for funding from the provincial government for $300 of it, so it still cost me $400.00.

Michael, I’m so sorry, as I was correcting what I thought was my post, I suspect I may have inadvertently interfered with your reply, which I hadn’t read :woman_facepalming: xB

I have Evolution rollator also-regular height-its heavy to carry upstairs but it’s sturdy and has stopped me from falling many times. It was cheaper than Beryl’s probably bc its not regular height.

:slightly_smiling_face: Good to know Linda. And, this range is particularly recommended for people with a wider gait :slightly_smiling_face: xB

1 Like

Veloped is my favorite. 14” pneumatic tires really work well. This is 3 wheel not 4. Go Triad.com the USA distributor for Velopeds (Swedish), and 4 wheel walkers with 14” wheels. I consider Velopeds more rural and 4 wheel more urban. Velopeds are curved and they don’t
fold completely flat. Using them in stores and cafes is ackward. But on trails, you an go anywhere for miles!

:slightly_smiling_face: I looked at them as well, they’re impressive. I’ve often wondered if pneumatic tires were better, because I get a lot of vibration from my rollator if the path is uneven. But it glides in malls :wink: xB

I listed Triad as the name of the USA importer of Velopeds. Wrong! It is
Trionic USA Inc. I just got home from a 4 mile hike on rough trails in Golden Gate Park. In real life, just getting to the kitchen can be a challange.

pneumatic is much better. But I think size is most important. Your current wheels are probably 8”. To go from malls to sidewalks you’ll go to 12 or 14” air filled rubber tires. You check and adjust your pressure with an airguage and bicycle pump. You’re using a walker designed around these beefier wheels. Is it worth it? Streets, paths, fields, beaches are screaming “yes”.

:+1: Apart from ‘the great outdoors’ beckoning, I need those tires for footpaths where I live :joy: xB

1 Like

I am 6’2", 200 lbs. and purchased a Swedish made rollator manufactured by Volarus. I believe they are only available online. If you google them you will be able to find the distributor for your country.

Good build quality, you can walk inside it so as not to compromise posture, lightweight, collapses easily for transport or storage. I bought the largest model because of my size and the fact that I use it on woodland trails and rough terrain for some of my walks. The only thing it won’t go through is snow.