Stretching?

Wondered if anyone has any information to share on stretching legs and how to go about it. I think I may be too aggressive but it feels good (and my legs never feel good).

Thanks-

Tiffinay

I would ask your doctor for some physical therapy so you'll learn how to do it properly and not make things worse for yourself. Physical therapy has really helped me as long as I do it at home too.

I swim and my body feels good. It is ther only time I am normal, when I am under water! Amy

Are you talking about special therapy stretching or just exercise stretching?

PATSY

Hi Tiffinay

Only joined today and will be trying to post a lot over the coming weeks

I find a gravity stretch works very well for hamstrings, glutes and lower back

Simply stand with your back against the wall, feet together, your heels about 3 to 4 inches of the wall

(Please Note before trying this for the first time have a friend or partner in front of you to steady you gently in case you lose your balance)

Bend forward from the hips letting your arms hang down toward your toes

DON'T force anything just hang your arms down and breathe (very important in stretching)

Stay in this position for approximately two minutes, don't force let gravity do the work as your muscles stretch and you relax you'll find your fingers are closer to your toes

Stretching lower back and hamstring is good done very first thing in the morning to set your muscle length for the day

Hope this helps, let me know how you get on please

Shaun

Hi Tiffany

I use an Osteopath who helps with leg exercises that improve the neural connection to my legs. I didn't realise how poor I was until I started them. 5 repeats left me exhausted. Now much improved after only 4 weeks doing them every morning.

I am from Australia, so not sure an equivalent for Osteo in USA

Good Luck

Great ideas! Love the gravity stretch. Can't wait to try that one. Thanks!

Tiffinay

Thanks for gravity stretch - physio gave me one sliding down wall but I couldnt get up again!

Usually do stretching exercises on wii fit plus but having battery problems this morning. Very pleased to have the gravity one today.

Patsy

No problem Patsy, glad to be of some help, let me know how you get on with it please

Shaun

Patsy said:

Thanks for gravity stretch - physio gave me one sliding down wall but I couldnt get up again!

Usually do stretching exercises on wii fit plus but having battery problems this morning. Very pleased to have the gravity one today.

Patsy

i agree with Julie. a physical therapist will know better what you can and can't do.

lorraine

I agree with Julie too. My doctor "prescribed" PT and it's the only thing that has helped me other than stopping drinking. Thank goodness my insurance pays most of it :) A good PT is worth their weight in gold.

Julie Hahn said:

I would ask your doctor for some physical therapy so you'll learn how to do it properly and not make things worse for yourself. Physical therapy has really helped me as long as I do it at home too.

Hi Tiffinay, I wanted to share my experience with you. I've enrolled in a few classes that seem to be helping me out a lot and wanted to share the thoughts with you so maybe they will help even just a little bit. I think finding the right teacher for us is critical. I am taking Yoga/balancing (for people 50+ and also balancing class are given for seniors even though I'm not a senior they have to deal with cerebellum issues too) classes and another one is Pilates classes (stretching and deliberate core strengthening too). I am told the stiffness started in my neck so if I work on that it helps me start being less stiff deliberate movements side to side and back and forth.

I was experiencing lots of ache/pain in my legs and didn't want to move them. I thought the more I moved them the more pain I would have. And I did at first but I pushed myself through this because logically I knew it would be good for me. 3 months later I'm noticing a difference in my balancing (catching myself so I don't fall if I catch my foot on something), actually my gait (walking closer in and not as wide), dizziness (moving my head regularly so it's used to movements. I still have some light headeadedness but nothing like before), I'm sleeping more sound, I am not napping like I was everyday (I used to have to nap to get through a day now I might nap once a week because I just wanna take the time out). I'm eating foods to help my body have more strength to do what I need it to do too. I believe that helps. I think everything we can do to help is like a puzzle piece.

Now I'm aware that my body aches if I don't move enough, or strech enough. I love the feeling it gives my muscles now. I read that after doing 30 mins of stretching the effect can last 2 or more hours. I find myself when starting to ache just jumping on the treadmill for 5-10 mins help it to continue :0).

P.S. I don't like exercise. But I get a releaf from stretching and core building now. Maybe I'll get to the point of actually liking it??????? :0)

Gravity stretch definitely working well for me and the two minutes more achievable now.. seemed too long at first!

Patsy

Hi Tiffiney, have you tried Arnica gel?

Hi Tiffany - I just saw on Dr. Oz or The Revolution (I'm somewhat addicted to these shows apparently - minus the bon-bons) that doing some type of cardio. before stretching prevents injuries. I have a lot of stretches for the legs, but one that's kind of a full-body including legs is to sit with your legs in diamond-shape on the floor - while inhaling with your arms up from the sides - interlace your fingers and while exhaling, stretch your arms and body to each side and then down to the ground in front front of you - hopefully that makes sense.

Hi

My Osteopath has given me specific exercises for muscles that are tight. He can feel by manipulation the muscles that need extra work. Hamstrings and gluts are giving me problems at moment.

End up only having to do stretches once a day to give improvement.

A "hot" bath will also reduce muscle stiffness. I use a fish tank thermometer as I can no longer feel feel temperature properly. I use max 43 degC for about 30 minutes and then have a lie down ....sleep for 60 minutes. I do this every second day. This helps heaps for general stiffness. Take care when getting up as muscles are very relaxed