Traveling with Spinal Cerebellar Ataxia Type II

OMG - OMG - OMG - THANK YOU - THANK YOU - THANK YOU - this just may be the answer. Discussed it with my husband and he is all for giving it a try - the fact that it's used by fishermen, motorcyclists, sports fans, etc, gives him just enough of a push to try it. It is now not just a medical thing, it is a GUY THING. Thanks SOOOOOOOOOOO much. (Wish us luck)

Glitter on Butterflies said:

Hi - In the last five years since having walking issues, I have traveled quite a bit - mainly by plane and also by car. Each trip/circumstance was different.

If you're going by car and he's a guy, have you seen those Stadium Buddy things? That specific product is marketed to guys attending stadium events, but I've also seen similar products on healthcare sites/magazines.

For sure there's a way to do it, as you know; it definitely takes more forethought, though. Thanks for posting this.

Wow - thanks.

I hope that idea helps.

Best of luck!

KatCap21 said:

OMG - OMG - OMG - THANK YOU - THANK YOU - THANK YOU - this just may be the answer. Discussed it with my husband and he is all for giving it a try - the fact that it's used by fishermen, motorcyclists, sports fans, etc, gives him just enough of a push to try it. It is now not just a medical thing, it is a GUY THING. Thanks SOOOOOOOOOOO much. (Wish us luck)

Hi - In the last five years since having walking issues, I have traveled quite a bit - mainly by plane and also by car. Each trip/circumstance was different.

If you're going by car and he's a guy, have you seen those Stadium Buddy things? That specific product is marketed to guys attending stadium events, but I've also seen similar products on healthcare sites/magazines.

For sure there's a way to do it, as you know; it definitely takes more forethought, though. Thanks for posting this.

I've had to travel a lot lately and find it harder to go on trips, just because I tend to get fearful and anxious about it. If you can repair ahead of time works out much better and his anxiety will be less and maybe having to go as much will lesson with it some.

I'd call the airline your taking also like Rose suggested. Talk with them about maybe closer placement to the restrooms too. They are experienced with these things and I find they are really helpful if you can talk with someone. Each person you talk with will also have more idea's so don't stop there. I would also email them. Fist compile a list of your concerns so your organized. Your hubby will feel so comforted! :0)

I also bring my food on the plane because they don't offer anything nutritional that I can eat, since I use my food as meds.I's also bring with you anything like a pillow etc just to mak

e him more comfortable. Letting the airline know ahead that your boarding with a disabled person helps too! Watch you will meet a lot of great people that want to help out.

Please don't let problems or challenges hinder you from going out. There are always other ways to find solutions to them if you look deep enough. :0)

Choose to make it a great trip and it will be! :0)

I just took four 14 year old boys to a huge water park hotel for the weekend. The walking was a lot. Plus we went down town because they wanted to walk around. I haven't started using my walker yet. (but I need to ) Instead I used a stroller. The boys thought that was really neat because we filled the stroller with everything we needed. I was able to go. I even went down some water slides. I told the workers there I need help getting on my tube and maybe getting off. Everyone of the employees helped. Weather its a airlines to any place. I learned this weekend employees help. Like they said. There, their to help. Since I had my stroller. I even went to the bar for ONE cocktail. I wanted to share because I am down on most strangers.

I agree Lori...,people and employees can be so helpful! When my husband, step-daughter and I took a trip to Italy last year, we were in a ski village by the Mattahorn, My husband and step-daughter went skiing from Italy into Switzerland. I can no longer ski, so they offered to come and get me halfway through they're skiing so we could all ride the cable car into Switzerland. I told them not to bother, as once they were skiing, to keep it up. After they left me at the lodge, I decided I would attempt to get to the cable car and ride it into Switzerland, alone. I had to walk up a steep path with some snow and ice, as well as steps. Fortunately, there was a wood handrail and I had my cane. Once I got to the cable cars (I had to go down and then up several steps), I noticed the cars don't completely stop to get on (they only slow down). There was an attendant that helped me on and then off. What I didn't realize is I had to go to another cable car to ride into Switzerland. So once again, I negotiated many stairs. When I reached the platform to get on the car, there was no attendant present. Two French skiers kindly helped me on, and then off. Due to our language barrier we couldn't talk together, but our smiles said it all...,ha! Anyway, I made it into Switzerland, thanks to the helpfulness and kindness of others! I was somewhat proud of myself because I had tried something out of my comfort zone (with ataxia), and I succeeded! Although it took me a while to do this, the scenery was breathtaking and well worth the time it took! A long story...,;o)

Oh Rose I am laughing reading your story. I'm sorry. yes I can see an ataxia person doing all you did. Good Girl! You should be proud of yourself! I was laughing only because I know EXACTLY how you were feeling every step you took down that path. And hopping on to a moving car. Then to do it all over again. I bet that trip was beautiful!

Thanks Lori! Yes, I'm soooo glad I did it, as it was truly beautiful! Hey, I loved your idea of using a stroller to get around. Plus, it's a great way to carry all the stuff. Kuddos to you for taking that trip with teenagers, and for going on some water slides! ;o)

Thanks Rose! We have to have some fun in our life's. Even if its a struggle. It shows us how strong we really are!

Wiow to both Lori and Rose. You are both so intrepid! I passed up on so many great trips because I would not leave my comfort zone and dread travel and the unknown. Just gong to a local movie or the market is a big deal for me! Congrats to both of you.. Neta

I didnt say "saving". My computer is whacked. I said "wow" to the both of you, Rose and Lori. You are so intrepid. Buthiw did you deal with the airports?

neta said:

Saving…

Neta. I hear you on comfort zone. Sometimes its harder to go to a movie. (it is harder) Last summer I flue to Mimi by myself. I used my suit case on wheels for my walker. It worked great. It balanced me just right. I was very shocked at myself this trip to the water park. I did have a walker. (my stroller) and it made it easy. I guess we just have to do things if we want to see things. Im learning how to do that. But I have along way to go. Im learning slowly. Comfort zones hold us back! Try something new!

I am not so brave. Today, I did my exercises (which include 1/2 an hour of running w/o holding on) and then walked to and back (1/2 hour each way with hills) to my shrink. I came home drenched (as in sweating) and tired. I am just coming into an "acceptance" phase but I have fantasies that this will end.Did you drag or push the valise?? I have also flown alone across the world. I find the flying relatively easy but the airports hell. Comfort zones may hold us back but it is also impt to rest and tank up on feeling normal. N

Lori said:

Neta. I hear you on comfort zone. Sometimes its harder to go to a movie. (it is harder) Last summer I flue to Mimi by myself. I used my suit case on wheels for my walker. It worked great. It balanced me just right. I was very shocked at myself this trip to the water park. I did have a walker. (my stroller) and it made it easy. I guess we just have to do things if we want to see things. Im learning how to do that. But I have along way to go. Im learning slowly. Comfort zones hold us back! Try something new!

Wow running. In my dreams I can run. LOL. I drag everyday. I push myself with everything I do. I agree I do like my comfort zone. I just learned a lot this weekend.

I hate the running but I know it's important. So did you drag or push your valise?oo My husband bought tickets to something recently and I practically broke everyone's ankles getting to my seat. I am sure you learned alot this weekend. I am going to push myself to the market now.

Lori said:

Wow running. In my dreams I can run. LOL. I drag everyday. I push myself with everything I do. I agree I do like my comfort zone. I just learned a lot this weekend.

I pulled my valise. Then when I stopped walking. I stood it up. The handled helped support my balance. You do have to find out what hand works the best. I was going to bring a cane. But that seemed to get in the way. The valise worked the best. And I did it with good results. Yes walking threw the Mimi airport was a trip. But I did it. I find direct flights.

I find that balancing things have to be just the right weight--not too heavy and not too light. I guess on domestic flights, there is no luggage check in? To be honest, sometimes I have availed myself of a wheel chair or buggy inthe sprawling Newark airport. It gets one thru customs faster. N

Lori said:

I pulled my valise. Then when I stopped walking. I stood it up. The handled helped support my balance. You do have to find out what hand works the best. I was going to bring a cane. But that seemed to get in the way. The valise worked the best. And I did it with good results. Yes walking threw the Mimi airport was a trip. But I did it. I find direct flights.

I find I have to "push" myself to do things big time or I'll miss out on a lot of important events, etc. I just tell myself to try, even if it takes me twice as long (which it does) to do it. I also give myself pep talks where I tell myself, "you can do it", as psychologically that helps me have more confidence. When I travel on a plane, I try to get bulkhead seats, as they're closer to the restrooms. Of course, I haven't traveled alone, as my husband helps me. When negotiating through the airport, I get one of those luggage carts, as I can push it and stay upright. It's easier for me than pulling my luggage and using my cane for balance. My husband will even pull both his and my luggage, as well as carry his backpack and my C-Pap machine case (I have sleep apnea and must take that with). I don't go up or down escalators anymore, so we always use elevators. I would try traveling alone if I had to, as I love it and don't want to miss out! I move very sloooowly, so I must accept that and plan accordingly...,ha! ;o)

No-one has mentioned any problem with Nystagmus and travelling. It's 3yrs since I was last in an airport, then

it was managable but now I worry about it. The hustle and bustle, noise, crowds etc. just the thought makes

me cringe, and stress makes me worse. I have SCA and at the moment balance using a cane, when I'm sitting

Nystagmus doesn't cause me any problems but when I'm on my feet it's another story. Combined with Ataxia, ugh!

A wheelchair at the airport is obviously the way to go, and trying not to travel at peak times.

Some airports offer those golf-cart shuttles, too, which are helpful, speedy, and you don’t have to negotiate crowds.

That would be less stressful, being a bit higher up in a crowd. My husband would want to drive!

Some airports offer those golf-cart shuttles, too, which are helpful, speedy, and you don't have to negotiate crowds.