Trip to the bathroom in the night

Why is the wobbliness worse on the trip to the bathroom in the night?

Is it because I have just woken up? Is it because it is dark?

I am grabbing the windowsill on one side and the bath on the other, and always seem to bash into one of the doorways either on my way to, or the return trip from, the bathroom.... more painful with less clothing!

My wobbliness is much less in the day, just seem to bash into the odd door frames then, don't need to hang on to anything else.

I chose to use a pee bottle because I am male and I don't want to wake up too much. I also use during the day when our bathroom is busy and I cant wait.

Well, I know there’s such a thing as a ‘she wee’ but I for one wouldn’t like to have to balance and fiddle with it :slight_smile: Obviously needs must and you do what you have to do.

Almost without fail I have to make the same type of precarious type trip during the night, often putting it off till the last minute :slight_smile:

As soon as I attempt to sit up my balance goes haywire. Once on my feet sheer momentum spurs me on to the bathroom. It does help to have a light of some kind on, but nothing bright. Otherwise it’s the same situation as being outdoors in the dark, lack of perception of depth and poor spatial awareness can stop you in your tracks…then it’s too late!

Beryl - I have nightlights all over my house. They are the ones that automatically come on when it's dark enough. The bulbs don't burn out that fast. I have 4 in my apartment. They are always on at night so I can walk any where in my apartment and not have to worry (even if I'm just coming home at night).

Beryl Park said:

Well, I know there's such a thing as a 'she wee' but I for one wouldn't like to have to balance and fiddle with it :-) Obviously needs must and you do what you have to do.

Almost without fail I have to make the same type of precarious type trip during the night, often putting it off till the last minute :-)

As soon as I attempt to sit up my balance goes haywire. Once on my feet sheer momentum spurs me on to the bathroom. It does help to have a light of some kind on, but nothing bright. Otherwise it's the same situation as being outdoors in the dark, lack of perception of depth and poor spatial awareness can stop you in your tracks.......then it's too late!

I have the same problem. I thought it was just me. I do seem to be more off balance when I wake up in the middle of the night.

I don't do anything for it because you just opened my eyes that this is probably related to my ataxia.

I have the same problem! I think it may have to do with being able to see less (so your eyes can't compensate for your bad cerebellum), being tired/disoriented from waking up in the middle of the night, and moving too quickly. I have found that it helps me to sit up slowly, put my feet on the ground to orient myself, and then use my stick to walk slowly to the bathroom with the lights on. I'm going to get a rollator to use in the house and I think that will help tremendously for night time bathroom trips, because I'll have two arms to brace myself.

This is very interesting. I too have bowel problems but my GP denies it is anything to do with ataxia. I also have your difficulty in wobbliness being worse at night. I assume this is because in addition to my usual co-ordinating problems, I have to concentrate on 'holding it in'. Beryl's suggestion that it's to do with poor spatial awareness making you stop in your tracks also rings true

Bowèl problems(chroñic coñstîpàtïôñ) started when ataxîa got worse. Have flash lights oñ my rollatôr for night triips.Also! havè iñçôntînençe and wear pull ups. day and night! Hubby & pt think a pôtty chair îñ bedroo would hèlp, Î don't know. Î sometimes. can't get ûp by myself lately either.