Tub/Shower mat

Recently I replaced my old shower mat. The new one was not as non-slip as the old one. I decided to wear showers shoes and I felt as comfortable as I did when I was taking a shower on the old mat. I believe that the slipping sensation I was feeling with the new mat was too much for my brain to handle and wearing shower shoes there was no sensation. I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this and maybe this could help, and I'm definitely looking into installing shower bars.

i use shower mat from lowes, i fell in the shower at my sisters garage. but nothing serious

Hello Jack,

I do not have this problem because our shower tub has a non-slip surface, but there are products that can be applied over tub or tile floors and that are non-slip. Very effective. Heard about this from a gentleman who came to my stroke support group to talk about adaptative measures for home with handicapped people. These products can be found in home improvement stores like Home Depot, Lowes, etc…

Grab bars are a must in the bathroom as it is the most dangerous place for falls even for healthy people…

When we travel, we take a grap bar with suction cups which I found quite safe for me (I am in the featherweight category :slight_smile: and it is very easily installed. You can find those in the same stores as the non slip products.

Hope you are doing well and keep up your running. Any races this year?

I have a nonslip shower mat I got from Bed, Bath and Beyond. It's a full length so I can't slip in the shower. That's one problem I don't have to worry about. We installed grab bars in the tub area so I have something to grab when I get in or out of the tub.

Hi Jack :slight_smile:
I’ve tried a few different shower mats, currently I have one with rubbery bristles and find it gives me the most confidence.
I have a grab bar that sounds like Cicina’s, I’ll be giving it space in my suitcase too :-)xB

I have a roll in shower with a seat. I have to put a wet towel on the seat for grip when showering as I do not wish to count how many times I have gone to the floor. And yes I do have grab bars.

I dont feel safe in shower, even with grad rails. I have bath lift which lowers me into the tub and I use hand shower.

Hello Jack,
We have 2 showers with non-skid bottoms but get slippery when shampoo or shower gel is used. Bath mats will not stick on this surface. I use an oversized wash cloth on the shower floor to ground my position & when my eyes are closed (for rinsing my hair), I feel perfectly safe. We also have a built in grab bar that helps too.

We just moved, and the new place has a grab bar in the shower - I don't know what I did without it!

I have balance problem due to SCA6. I find Aqua Shoes are a great help in bath, shower and pool area. Grab rails are essential. I cannot understand why grab rails are not mandatory in all bath/shower areas not just recommended for disabled people, Beware of different types of soap/shampoo/conditioner which may increase tendency to slip. I live in Nottingham, UK. Our council will install grab rails and similar, free of charge to everybody, as part of their accident-prevention policy. This is cost-effective as it reduces need for costly hospital and social care services. I am most grateful for this marvellous service!

I wear crocs all the time. If there is any amount of slippery substance be it in a shower or out its a sure bet that I would be inclined to fall because of it.

I found while traveling the USA that bathroom facilities even if ones room was designated as handicap friendly was a source for a major fall. Croc's saved my butt.

Hi Jack,

Sounds incredibly useful since I only take showers (unusual in India) and falling in the bathroom is an increasing risk. Is there a particular model that you recommend?

Vasant

What are 'crocs'? I have never heard the term in UK. Are they what I call aqua shoes? - lightweight flexible shoes for wearing for any water sports.

profvasant said:

Hi Jack,

Sounds incredibly useful since I only take showers (unusual in India) and falling in the bathroom is an increasing risk. Is there a particular model that you recommend?

Vasant

mine are by columbia apperal

Hi Ginger,

http://www.crocs.com/classic-crocs-shoes/classic-styles,default,sc…

Thèse are crocs. It is a brand name

Any particular model Jack? The Ventslip II looks great.

Jack said:

profvasant said:

Hi Jack,

Vasant

mine are by columbia apperal

use a grassy shower mat and invest in a tub seat that goes over the tub. makes showering more pleasurable

lorraine

Use of a small shower stool can be helpful, these fit into small shower recesses and can be easily removed by other family members, being able to sit helps, a shower mat or use of a small towelling bath mat next to the chair also helps when the floor is slippery from soap, shampoo ect. this help me when I sprained my ankle last year. I am in the early stages of SCA6.

I have found whatever method used the most important thing is that as Ataxians our balance is dubious and a bit of our brain says we might fall.The bathroom/shower/wetroom/gadget etc is tailored to suit our budget/house size/stage of Ataxia etc.I have progressed quickly in my Ataxia so bathrooms have had to change/evolve.I now have a fear of anywhere I could slip.This was not the case just one year ago.I am open to any suggestions.I am glad it's not just me who has issues with these places for the same reasons.

Hi All. I have SCA6. Balance rubbish - terrified of slipping in bath/shower /bathroom. Greatly helped by grab-rails all around so I'm always holding onto something when getting in & out or showering. Our city council accident-prevention team will come at short notice to install extra grab-rails, etc., as needed, completely free of charge for all!

Also helped by wearing aqua-shoes (which prevent slipping) during bathing and showering. Available very cheaply online (sold for use in water sports) or from disability-aid catalogues. Better than plastic bath-mats or shower-mats which always go mouldy.

Also find It helpful to have a perching-stool (provided free of charge by OT) immediately beside bath/shower to provide extra support and opportunity to sit down and compose myself before drying.