Disability Exam

Well, I had my exam yesterday. I took the advice others had given me to have someone drive me there and to not take anything that helps my symptoms. My friend took me there, which was a good thing because the parking lot was very snowy!
I didn't get a good read from the doctor as to how the visit went. She did comment on how strong I was – it is not strength that is compromised, it's coordination. And she noted that I live alone and can still drive. My friend said I did a good job of interjecting things about my condition – we shall see. Unfortunately, I was having a pretty good day symptom-wise. She did ask me if I got worse at the end of the day and I said yes. Fatigue really hits me in the evening.
The doctor will send her report next week and then I should hear from the Disability people by the end of March.

They like to see that you are at least willing to try to work.

Good luck, Cynders!

Right now I am barely getting through my work day. How can I go on disability if I am working but in agony? How can I quit and wait for the money? I have $1,000 of prescriptions a month, my wife and her parents to provide for.....I will take any suggestions.

Kay said:

1. DON'T WORK at all until your claim is approved. As soon as you work one day your claim is null/void and you have to start over.
  2. I have SCA2 and it is on their list of conditions they consider disabling (neurological disorders) so I just had to provide proof of the doctors and tests performed when I was first diagnosed and any paperwork that supports that you are disabled.
  3. I went to my neurologist to see if I was "disabled" and if they thought I should apply. I think it helped SSDI to make a determination because I had my neuro's exam and support that I was disabled.
  4. I didn't have to go thru their exam with another doctor so I don't know about that, I wouldn't take anything that masks your symptoms. May show them nothing is wrong.
  5. I applied in October 2014 and I had a decision by the end of December 2014. My sister-in-law has spinal stenosis and it took her about 2 years.

Ditto that!

Chris said:

Good luck, Cynders!

scott said:

I am on disability and I applied online. I think a DNA report is very helpful. My sister is too, she retained a lawyer, but never used them.

Scott Andrae

I am in the process of applying online and find the process very daunting. How long did it take to get approved? Do you think I need to hire an attorney? I have SCA3. My job will not clear me to go back to work after a knee replacement in October. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I consulted an attorney and he said to try it first on my own and come back to him if I was denied. I also contacted my congressman - and he contacted Disability on my behalf. Within 2 weeks of his contacting them, they requested the records from my doctors, and things seemed to start moving.

the doctor that did the exam said I should hear by the end of March. I applied online 2 days after I lost my job.

Getting help from the congressman is the best way to go,