Why Is Disability Discrimination Still Rife in 2013 in the UK?

Have you ever been discriminated because of your disability?

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/dr-nicholas-m-almond/disability-discrimination_b_4089406.html

About five years ago I was in better condition and looking for work, but not full time. I live in Australia and rang a local government agency that was looking for staff. In this enquiry I asked the person if they would consider job share as I had a medical condition and couldn't work full-time, his questioning regarding my condition was highly inappropriate but he also said 'no way, that's too much trouble'. As a degree qualified counsellor I was more than qualified for the role, but the blatant lack of understanding in regards to dealing with the type of inquiry I had truly amazed me especially from a Federal Government department who are suppose to be all over the disability issue.

I also did a research report when I was studying and it certainly showed that employers are very wary in regards to hiring people with a disability.

Yesterday I met Alan Thomas who is a great person for the second time. We discussed many problems that ataxia sufferers Ataxia encounter in their life including prejudice and discrimination. After our meeting I found this new article that reflected partly what we discussed. It is not particularly about ataxia but about disability in general. I thought I should share it with you and find out how people responded to your disability.

I am quoting part of the article here for those who did not read it.

'However society as a whole has a problem with accepting disability; in my experience anyone who is in a wheelchair and has any communication difficulties are assumed to have learning difficulties. For example, when undertaking my PhD we (postgraduates and academics) were attending a seminar by a so-called expert in disability awareness, however after his talk we all went for a drink and despite my colleagues explaining that I was completing a PhD he spoke to me as if I was a child. This was an academic teaching disability awareness; however it is an all too common theme when speaking to people in the local pub. Why must individuals see a wheelchair with someone who does not have perfect speech and have been told that I am "intelligent" (some of my friends may disagree with that definition) speak to you as if you are an idiot?'

I suffer from this attitude most days myself. I would like to read about your experiences and those of other disabled people you know. I will write again after reading your comments.

I have EA2 and my husband is eplieptic - a well controlled one. I don't declare my illness on job applications but he has to really and he can't get another job even those he is well and truly qualified for. We live in NZ and discrimination is rife here on any grounds - religion, disability, sexual orientation (in spite of the change to our marriage laws). There is nothing you can do because how do you prove it??

Hi Louise, I've noticed your EA2 diagnosis, I'd be interested in what symptoms you get and how you manage as this is my diagnosis too. I can't take Diamox! PM me if you like :)

Louise Davy said:

I have EA2 and my husband is eplieptic - a well controlled one. I don't declare my illness on job applications but he has to really and he can't get another job even those he is well and truly qualified for. We live in NZ and discrimination is rife here on any grounds - religion, disability, sexual orientation (in spite of the change to our marriage laws). There is nothing you can do because how do you prove it??

I live in the States, was diagnosed with ataxia 10 years ago, and retired (on my own accord) from my job as a social worker 7 years ago. I have never felt discriminated against, although I haven't looked for work, or worked, since retiring. ;o)