Getting Rid of Sugar

I'm trying to rid myself of sugar but it seems almost impossible because sugar is in almost everything. For example, I love ketchup, but ketchup has sugar in it. It would be easy to give up sugar if it were only in candy and cake, but it's added to everything. I would appreciate any suggestions you may have.

Hi Barb! I'm also cutting way back on sugar. As for ketchup, I've found organic ketchup at Kroger that has no sugar, no high fructose corn syrup. Best of luck to you! :) Sandra

One step at a time no sugar like you said no candy no sweets I don't do sugar but gradually just stopped ketchup etc

you will do without it just go slowly and good kuck :)

How about making your own it could be a treat.

Barb -

You can't eliminate it. We need to stay away from "added sugars" which is "high fructose corn syrup".

Women should consume 100 calories/daily, which is 25 grams or 6 teaspoons.

I have same problem. I never buy sugar so none added to our food and drinks but, as you say, it is in everything we buy.

I dont eat biscuits [UK] but cant resist ice cream treats and ice lollies.

I do buy sugarfree cough sweets that stop me feeling like snacking.

I try to have baked potato rather than a sandwich and fresh fruit and veg but... it is those icecream desserts that are my weakness.

It's much the same with salt ... my granddaughter has Coeliac disease and that's another challenge, glutenfree meals!

We do have a 24-hour fasting day once a week which helps. Just drinks and fresh fruit.

x

I try not to eat any foods with processed sugar! ;o)

I have found the that a high protein diet really helps cut sugar cravings but I too have a heck of a time with sugar. For me it’s almost an all or nothing game. Paleo type diet really does wonders for me when I can stick with it. Since the early 1900’s it’s been known by docs that a Ketogenic diet stops or reduces severe epileptic seizures without knowing why in patients where nothing else works. Well, high protein/fat diet does wonders for my symptoms as well, but the minute I add carbs it all does downhill. I find it very curious. As for sugar I think it’s emotional for me and has such a reward that I need to substitute something else–but what? Don’t drink, smoke, chew, or do anything else considered fun (when not in Hawaii) except eat sweets. Need a new vice, or need to move to Hawaii.

Barb,

Who and why is anyone trying to get you off sugar? The only reason that I know of is diabetes.

LOL!...,Maryseas!

I believe that most people are simply brainwashed about sugar!!! It is big business to get you off sugar, so everyone jumps on the bandwagon and tells you it is bad for you, just to participate in the sugar-free business. Does anyone really know of a significant research project (other than about diabetes) that says sugar is bad for you? There are even some diseases that are caused by the brain not getting enough glucose!!!

I don’t need a research study to know that after consuming an intense sugar/caffeine mocha or piece of chocolate cake or other sweet desert that my eyes simply go “wacko” and I can’t drive. My nstagmus/vertigo go crazy with sugar and sugar free caffeine drinks don’t do this. All this is shortly followed by an urge to nap. Of course with age brings the A1C blood sugar issue which is pre-diabetic for me if I don’t watch it. Actually high fructose corn syrup is much worse for the liver in my opinion. I guess my reaction is a kind of Neuro transmitter brainwashing, but It’s not all “in my mind.” :slight_smile:

In my opinion, sugar is addicting! I feel/do better if I avoid all processed sugars! ;o)

Thank you for your input everybody. Re: Sugar, well said maryseas. Norbert: May I respectfully refer you to Grain Brain by Dr. Perlman, a neurologist, and Why Isn't my Brain Working by Datis Kharrazian, DHSc, DC, MS. See what they have to say about sugar and the brain. I love eating ice cream, candy,and cake, pasta, bread, and all things with sugar. Besides the brain, I want to get my A1C and fasting serum glucose lower.

As far as A1c goes I just came across this study regarding eating vinegar ( as in vinegar oil salad dressing) with a meal and having it block as much as 30% of the carb absorbtion. I have decided to try to eat more naturally fermented foods in place of the yogurt I usually eat and discovered this link. May help curb sugar consumption? Or absorbtion. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1785201/

Bring on the vinegar! Thanks for the link, Maryseas! ;o)

Hi Barb, I kicked refined sugar in 2007 and am still off. It's not easy but doable.Once I kicked it I never want to go back.

I find it easier to shop the outside of the market and leave the things in a box or bag alone. I don't have anything processed in a box or bag, no condiments or sauces. If I really want a condiment I just need to make them myself without sugar in them it's really not as hard as you may think. Because before I did it I thought that way too. But that said I got help detoxing my body from all flour (so I didn't have to worry about Gluten flours eliminating all flours), or refined sugars. Having what my brain needed only. I lost weight (which I felt was a great side effect for me but that wasn't my issue).

I read about refined sugars being bad for our brain (alcohol is very high in sugar so I quite that too). My MRI's haven't changed since I let go of refined sugars (not fruit) so I feel the results have been so worth giving up any foods for just a moment pleasure (I should say what I thought was pleasure but now I know the difference).

I went to Food Addicts in Recovery. Got a sponcer to walk me through how they eat and when etc. so I had help doing it so it wasn't quite as hard to do. It has opened up a whole new world for me. They use the AA literature. Don't be hard on yourself for not being able to get off on your own. I learned in FA that having refined sugars light up the same area's of the brain that cocaine lights up without the other effects.

FA uses the AA literature to help get a person to let go of something weather it be alcohol, any trigger food, emotional issues etc. anything that controls our behavior what so ever.)

I dropped alcohol because one, it disrupts the brain cells that I was trying to rebuild, and two the sugar content. I also ended up loosing weight from eating right and what my body and brain needed and nothing more. So I used the program for my health issue and found out it covered a lot more that added to my health. Who knew?

This program is NOT for those that need it but for those that really want it! Like I said it's not easy but so doable if you want it! :-) Good luck! If you want anymore info message me anytime. :-)

Here is a link: http://www.foodaddicts.org/what-is-fa

Maryseas,
How do you know it is the sugar that hurts your eyes? I am sure that you do not eat sugar by itself, do you? At the beginning of the 20th century an otherwise well respected physician said that he did an experiment that showed that eating eggs is bad for you. For almost 90 years everyone thought that his experiment was conclusive and no one thought to check up on it because he was so well respected. Then someone found out that he had taken a dozen rabbits and force-fed them eggs. One of them died. No one ever questioned it. Rabbits do not have the digestive system to digest eggs!!! And, no one ever checked what that one rabbit died of. Everyone just assumed they knew. Yet, there were hundreds of books written and many lectures that said it was the cholesterol in the eggs that was bad for you. It was not until the late nineties that someone discovered that eggs contain good and bad cholesterol, and that it balances, while they actually contain good protein. Therefore, you cannot blindly believe what anyone says or writes. Check up on statistically valid test. And I do not know of any about sugar.

I think Norbert has a point, There are numerous conflicting food reports for ataxia, many of them are, I fear, wishful thinking. I always feel the same only worse.. Food, in fact, nothing seems to make much difference. My main dr. was once asked if there is anything special I should eat. He said anything "tasty". Nevertheless, I am currently, privately, conducting an experiment and eliminating gluten from my diet-- my gluten sensitivity tests were normal. As it is, I barely eat meat (just once a week-- and a small amt) never drink milk (but do have a yogurt here and there) and eat many vegetables and fruits. Sugar? It cant be great. I avoid sugary drinks, cakes, cookies ice cream--mainly cause I want to kick the gluten habit. I do have wine here and there. My main "downfall" however, is chocolate. Late at night, feeling depleted by Life, and punished by God, I sit in an easy chair and watch TV and lunge for anything that has chocolate in it. Only sweetness will allay my worries. N

neta said:

I think Norbert has a point, There are numerous conflicting food reports for ataxia, many of them are, I fear, wishful thinking. I always feel the same only worse.. Food, in fact, nothing seems to make much difference. My main dr. was once asked if there is anything special I should eat. He said anything "tasty". Nevertheless, I am currently, privately, conducting an experiment and eliminating gluten from my diet-- my gluten sensitivity tests were normal. As it is, I barely eat meat (just once a week-- and a small amt) never drink milk (but do have a yogurt here and there) and eat many vegetables and fruits. Sugar? It cant be great. I avoid sugary drinks, cakes, cookies ice cream--mainly cause I want to kick the gluten habit. I do have wine here and there. My main "downfall" however, is chocolate. Late at night, feeling depleted by Life, and punished by God, I sit in an easy chair and watch TV and lunge for anything that has chocolate in it. Only sweetness will allay my worries. N